Breadcrumbs

M10 group

More
14 Sep 2017 19:18 #1 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic M10 Work
I'm going to strip this thread of the suggestions for an M10 forum (as they're not relevant past the first one) and move the thread to Tech Talk.

What I've noticed is that none of this discussion is M10 specific. I think the entire Coupe community would find interest in what here.

Having said that, I'm working out a scheme to have an Alon/M10 area and an Ercoupe/Forney area since those seem to be the major divisions. However, I'm not interested in duplicating *everything* in both of those area. There's just too much overlap to justify that.

I would like those interested in a separate M10 group to contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we can look at the detail/pros/cons of setting that up.

josef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 19:47 - 14 Sep 2017 18:33 #2 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic M10 Work
We installed the new Millenium cylinders and did minimum runup on the ground. When I took off, it would only turn about 2150 and took waaaaay more runway than I am used to. It was so sluggish that I considered aborting the takeoff but it was flying and would climb, if slowly, like 150 ft/min. I left it wide open and climbed to 2000 feet over the airport so if it did quit, I would have a chance to get down safely. Gradually the rpm went up to 2350 and it was much more like I am used to.
I left the throttle WFO for two hours and monitored the CHT at about 390 degrees. As the time increased, the CHT dropped gradually to about 360. I called it a day and landed. The next day, I flew again and this time I got 2300 static and the airplane climbed almost normally. I spent the next two hours varying the throttle from 2400 to 2200 every 15 minutes. CHT started at 370 but gradually dropped to 340 as the motor loosened up. After 15 hours it goes to 360 at full throttle and about 320 at cruise.
After ten hours, the motor will turn 2400 static and in level flight will actually exceed the redline of the C90 which is 2625rpm. I know that they turn the racing O-200s in excess of 4000 rpm so 2625 is pretty safe. I used a quart of oil in the first 5 hours but the rings have seated in and now oil usage is minimal. I think I leak more than I burn. The leak is around the oil temp fitting which is a reason I want to go to an electronic gauge rather than the stock one.
I have the Status 2S connected to the Appareo ESG transponder so I never have to worry about charging batteries as the transponder charges the Stratus 2S and they share an antenna. I have a USB dock installed so I can connect my iPad and a phone. If you leave the iPad screen on, it will only maintain a charge but you can fly for 12 hours at a time without worrying about batteries. I am used to using Foreflight but I understand you can also use Garmin Pilot though I have never tried it. I understand from a Garmin seminar that Garmin and Foreflight are in negotiation to be compatible. I hope that works out. I also get traffic on my Garmin 796 but the iPad is MUCH easier to see.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2017 18:33 by Gordie Meade. Reason: typo

• Scott Engelhart
  • Topic Author
13 Sep 2017 19:02 #3 by Scott Engelhart
Replied by Scott Engelhart on topic M10 group
Well Gordie, we could have an active group in spite of a small population! I'm interested how break in went with those Millenium cylinders and how you like the ipad/Stratis combo? I too have Whelen tip nav/strobes. I am also wanting to go with an electronic oil temp gauge. Let's compare notes.

More
12 Sep 2017 21:39 #4 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic M10 group
There will not be that many as there were only 61 M10s built and a few have been taken out of service.
I have done quite a bit of work to mine. I have done a top overhaul on the C90-16F with Millenium cylinders and have about 15 hrs on the motor since. I have redone the instrument panel. I now have 2 Garmin G5s as artificial horizon and direction indicator. The vacuum pump and related equipment has been removed. I have a Garmin 796 in an AirGizmo dash mount and a Garmin 296 in a Ram mount. It has a King KX 125 with a KI 214 loc/GS indicator. I have also installed Whelen tip nav/strobes. It has a 40 amp alternator and a Skytech lightweight starter. I have also installed a USB port to power my iPad and Stratus 2S. It has an Appareo ADS-B transponder so is 2020 legal. Have installed overhauled Slick mags.
What I'd like to do:
1. Find new plastics for the interior.
2. Get it IFR certified.
3. Find a new prop that offers a little better performance.
4. Replace oil temp sender with an electronic one.
If you cannot tell, I really like this airplane.

• Scott Engelhart
  • Topic Author
12 Sep 2017 19:27 #5 by Scott Engelhart
Replied by Scott Engelhart on topic M10 group
You are right Larry, and it appears we have TWO! By the way Gordie, I am serial number 700033.

More
12 Sep 2017 15:24 #6 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic M10 group
I'm sure Josef can add a topic for M10s, but I suspect there won't be very many people in it! But I guess it only takes two to tango...

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds