Breadcrumbs

Fuel Gauge

More
27 Nov 2017 19:36 #7 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Fuel Gauge
There are pictures attached about 4-5 posts down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scott Engelhart
27 Nov 2017 17:36 #8 by Scott Engelhart
Replied by Scott Engelhart on topic Fuel Gauge
Gordie, thanks for sharing, really good info. A pic of your panel with this instrument would be cool.

More
27 Nov 2017 15:09 #9 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Fuel Gauge
Sounds about right. I used to fly between North County San Diego to San Jose stopping in Bakerfield for fuel and to releave myself 2/2.5 hrs by flying east of L.A. an be in the header tank in either the CD or Alon. I almost always fly wide open That was when fuel was under $3.00

More
26 Nov 2017 20:23 - 26 Nov 2017 20:37 #10 by Gordie Meade
I have now flown the fuel flow meter for 5 hours or so. It has taught me a bunch already. I assumed my cruise fuel burn was 5-5 1/2 gal/hr as that is what all the literature says so with 22 usable gallons of fuel, I was assuming over three hours with reserves. In flying, the flow meter indicates 6.3 gal/hr at 2350-2375 rpm. I thought this was high as the meter had not been calibrated but, the flow meter said I had burned 11.6 gallons of fuel and when I filled the tanks, I put in 11.8 gallons. Looks like the K factor of the meter is darn close.
According to the meter, wide open climb is 8.1 gal/hr, cruise at 2400 is 6.5 gal/hr, cruise at 2300 is 6.2 gal/hr, cruise at 2200 is 5.9 gal/hr, 2100 is 4.3 gal/hr and 2000 is 4.1 gal/hr. The speed difference between 2400 and 2200 is 5 mph at 3500 feet. Not what I was anticipating at all. Knowing what I know now, I would only plan for no more than 2 1/2 hour cruise before refueling. That's not too bad as that's about how long my bladder will tolerate anyway.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 20:37 by Gordie Meade. Reason: typo

More
22 Nov 2017 22:50 #11 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Fuel Gauge
sounds as if you are onto something useful there.

More
22 Nov 2017 19:07 - 23 Nov 2017 13:43 #12 by Gordie Meade
I got 61F out of the shop yesterday and flew it home. The meter was working but I had no idea how much fuel I started with, just that I had enough to get home. This morning I filled up and took a two hour(ish) flight. I went to Marianna FL, to Thomasville GA, a simulated instrument run to the Seminole VOR, then back to Quincy FL. I played with all the modes during the flight. Time of remaining fuel, fuel remaining, fuel used, and fuel flow rate. It worked exactly as advertised. I will not know how accurate the meter is right now until I fill up on Friday. The EI meter has an adjustable "K" factor that you can use to fine tune the flow rates so that the meter is exactly accurate. I will start that Friday. The instructions say it may take four or five adjustments to the K factor to get it right.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Nov 2017 13:43 by Gordie Meade. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds