Breadcrumbs

Cooling

• Henry Pasquet
22 May 2018 16:39 #1 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Cooling
On my annual, I asked the mechanic to check the cool air vents on my Alon. They were totally blocked by muddobber nests. We are also planning on putting Snapvents on the bottom inspection panels for air exhausts to suck the air thru the cabin instead of unlatching the canopy. We are waiting for the right exhaust manifold to be welded to finish the annual. It should be flying by this time next week. I will update have well it works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2017 18:46 #2 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Cooling
As a sidelight to this discussion, I finally got the canopy latches adjusted so they both will stay closed. The amount of air entering the cockpit drops really dramatically. In the winter this is a plus as I can fly in shirt sleeves. If I go to high (comparatively) altitude, 10k, the cockpit heater will keep it comfortable with only a light jacket with the canopy completely closed. As a plus, I have gained about 4 mph at cruise. In the summer, I will open the vents and at least one side of the canopy to get max airflow.

More
21 Sep 2017 10:16 #3 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Cooling
I only have about 16 hours in my Ercoupe but I have yet to fly it with the canopy closed. Open air is the only way to go. I get 600-700 fmp climb out with ground temps in the low 90s- at 300 ASL. C-85 Stroker. Approximately 1150 lbs gross.
I'll have to experiment one of these days and see what difference I get on climb out with the canopy closed.

• Henry Pasquet
21 Sep 2017 09:45 #4 by Henry Pasquet
It works. I tried it today. I did lose 200 FPM, climbing 500-600 instead of 700-800. That beats the 300-400 that I got with the canopy open on the Alon.

More
14 Sep 2017 15:06 #5 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Cooling
Mine widens at the back and has about a 1/2 inch gap for air to exit but stays closed very nicely.

• Henry Pasquet
14 Sep 2017 06:59 #6 by Henry Pasquet
I assume that the canopy stays closed when not latched. Is that correct? I haven't tried it yet.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds