Breadcrumbs

Top fuel tank not filling.

More
05 Sep 2018 16:49 #1 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
I know this is a rather old topic but I just want to emphasize, especially to new owners, that the float gauge to the header tank is RIGHT THERE in front of our faces. It should be very hard to not notice that the float is sinking. Landing with only two gallons left means you were flying almost 45 minutes while that float was going down. I'm not picking on you, Larry, just using you as an object lesson.

Last year, a gent picked up a very nice, customized Ercoupe from Houston and was flying it home. He ran totally out of gas on his very first leg. Totally destroyed the airplane. I had actually gone to look over that plane. First one I looked at when I was shopping for my own Ercoupe. That crash made a strong impression on me. Now, I just kind of naturally check that gauge every time I make a visual sweep of the skies.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2018 03:14 #2 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
The E I parted out was safeted with .025 SS.I can see it. Why put a valve in at all? And it is not out where one can get at it with ease Most do not turn ease too!.

More
22 May 2018 01:08 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
Warren, my understanding is the valve is supposed to be wired open with brass safety wire that can be fairly easily broken. I think there is an SB with the exact specs. I think many of us choose to have no safety wire, but check the valve before takeoff. Also, if the cowl tank bobber starts going down prematurely there’s time to check the valve.

• Larry McCartin
  • Topic Author
04 May 2018 15:02 #4 by Larry McCartin
Replied by Larry McCartin on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
Thanks to all who replied. Belonging to this club is such an asset plus great fun. Looks like Larry Snyder hit the nail on the head when he said first check the fuel cut-off valve because it is close to where your passenger sits and he may have hit it. Sure enough, when he climbed in his foot hit the valve handle and shut it off. Such an easy fix and it saved me a bundle! Thank you Larry and the others that replied. This is going on my check list TODAY. I only had a little over two gallons of gas when I landed because no fuel from the wing tanks.

• Jack Arthur
04 May 2018 07:49 #5 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
Not the tank check your fuel pump first, then check and see if the screens in your fuel lines fromteh tanks to the header have any debris in them. I have seen tanks that have been sloshed have teh sloshing compound come loose and block the lines.

• Larry McCartin
  • Topic Author
03 May 2018 17:13 #6 by Larry McCartin
Replied by Larry McCartin on topic Top fuel tank not filling.
Larry, Thanks for the quick reply. Forgive my typing. I intended to say "fuel pump, not fuel tank" I'll check all three things. I'm not sure if I can make it to the next Ercoupe get together. I'm still working on the weekends but I'm asking my boss for a little time off. Regards, Larry N93436 Tucson, Az

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds