Breadcrumbs

Thank the Lord! Please read.

More
27 Feb 2016 13:39 #1 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Thank the Lord! Please read.
Thank the Lord for holding your plane together..Your experience is not really unusual. Corrosion is typical and unforgiving..,I have three partners and we have two Ercoupes..One is flying and one is in need of wings and a center section..or at least a spar..The second is our winter project..We have done regular repairs and upgrades to the plane that is now flying..and that is to be expected..Engine..exhaust..and rigging issues. I tend to agree with the responder who suggested repairing what you have rather than buying another set of issues.. And I recommend Vernon Gregory ..he has been a great source of parts and information.. Find some partners interested in working on your bird..and have at it..For us it has been fun..
Good Luck PBGilman N94087 and N93950

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 07:34 - 24 Feb 2016 07:35 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Thank the Lord! Please read.
I was thinking - you should make an inventory of parts needed to make the airplane airworthy, then contact Vernon Gregory in South Carolina and Skyport in Ohio to see what used parts may be available. Then If you can assemble an airworthy airplane you will know in your head and heart that the airplane is safe. If you go off and buy another one, there is always the chance that something will be found. I think Vernon can supply everything from complete fuselage/center section assemblies to small bits. It would be cheaper to buy a complete fuselage with a solid center section than to try to put a new center spar in. Anyway, just thinking. I know that every time I've invested $$$ in redoing parts of my airplane I've gained a bit of confidence in its airworthiness. Sometimes I've thought that I could have bought a whole new airplane, but then the "fun" would start all over again!

Larry
N99340
Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 07:35 by Larry Snyder.

• Brandon Brooks
14 Feb 2016 10:25 #3 by Brandon Brooks
Replied by Brandon Brooks on topic Thank the Lord! Please read.
Thank You for sharing your experience. A few hundred dollars can save you thousands and maybe your life.

More
13 Feb 2016 15:36 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Thank the Lord! Please read.
A pilot friend of mine once said, "aviation people are the nicest folks in the world - unless they're trying to sell you something." How true that is. I feel really bad for you. Some folks would just hang it up right there. This really illustrates the need for a thorough pre-buy by someone you trust. Annuals by unknown mechanics are worthless! There still folks out there that will sign your logbooks for $400.

My motto is "don't trust, but verify!"

Larry
N99340

• Bud Bornemann
13 Feb 2016 14:42 #5 by Bud Bornemann
Replied by Bud Bornemann on topic Thank the Lord! Please read.
I can't imagine anyone knowingly doing that to another person, but I imagine even we have those kinds of people. Like you said PRAISE THE LORD no one was hurt. Good luck in your quest for a replacement aircraft and get a pre by from someone you trust.

• Topic Author
13 Feb 2016 08:42 #6 by 10132
Thank the Lord! Please read. was created by 10132
If you go back and read a few posts, you will see that I'm new ( relatively) to the Ercoupe world.
Not to waste your time, I purchased a 415-C LSA, current annual. Flew her home 2 hrs, exhaust fell off ( literally ) leaking gas. I spent several thousand dollars, because I thought 'current annual' meant it was in good to fair shape...at least. Annual time, my IA called me this morning, oh by the way I flew her about 6 hours. He saw the wings were pulled Jan '15 but wanted to see for himself. This morning he told me my plane is a " parts plane!".... The thru spar is completely corroided so bad he didn't understand the wing staying intact! Among several other things to costly to repair.
I guess what I want to say to you new fellows looking to purchase these great little planes: your life is at stake here. People aren't Always honest, and please...have a mechanic do a preinspection. I didn't, I'm a car inspection mechanic, pretty stubborn. But, please read this & humble yourself.
By the way, those 6 hrs I flew her...2 were acoumpied by my son. Could have been fatal .
I will own another one though, almost the best 6 hours in my 64 years of existence ! Till now.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds