Breadcrumbs

Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces

More
21 Sep 2018 19:18 #1 by George Sellers
Replied by George Sellers on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Murray and I are teaming up with Lynn Nelsen for this adventure. We are meeting at Williston, FL on Monday October 15, flying to Andalusia, AL (79J) for fuel and lunch, then heading to Vicksburg, MS (VKS) to spend the night. The next day we are heading to Fredericksburg, TX (T82) with a fuel stop at Jacksonville, TX (JSO). We have reservations at the Hangar Hotel at T82 where we are meeting Larry and his wife. The next day we will all fly to Las Cruces, NM after stopping at Pecos, TX for a bite to eat:) What a great trip!!! We look forward to meeting everyone at the Convention.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2018 14:46 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
I’ve decided to return to my original plan. On Tuesday, October 16, we will be arriving in Fredericksburg, Texas. We’re going to spend the afternoon downtown, shopping and sightseeing, before having dinner and spending the night at the Hangar Hotel. On Wednesday I’m hoping to have lunch at the Diner at the Hanger Hotel then depart for LRU. We are planning a fuel stop at Pecos, where folks brag on their brisket burritos. Guess I’ll have to have a light lunch at the diner if I’m going to have burritos a couple hours later! It looks like we’ll be meeting up with Lynn Nelsen and George and Murray Sellers at T82. The trip out should be fun!

• Donald DeWitt
17 Sep 2018 14:06 #3 by Donald DeWitt
Replied by Donald DeWitt on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Hi Larry:

Thanks for your response and routing. Bill Davis and I are going as a flight of two on much the same route. We are planning on staying overnight at ROW and then next day fly to Carlsbad, top the tanks and dogleg it southwest to the Dilli intersection, then to Newman VOR and then direct to LRU. Kind of the long way around (160 sm from CNM to LRU), but I hoping that we won't have to go higher than 6,500 - 7,000 msl.

Don

More
17 Sep 2018 12:08 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Yes, I was kind of hoping for a little more help, but really, it doesn't look to difficult from OKC. In fact, although we had intended to overnight in Fredericksburg, TX, going out there, we've been looking at a more direct route, which takes us through Oklahoma, From Mountain View we could stop at Ada, OK (KADH), then Plainview, TX (KPVW), the Roswell, NM (KROW), then go down between MOAs and restricted areas by crossing HOPET, then WHOLE, then WIKKR, then KLRU. I'll be doing flight following and checking just to see if I might be able to cross the restricted areas and skip the loop around them. The flight has an MEA mostly at 5500 or lower, except for that stretch southwest of Roswell, where it goes up to 8300.

If you just enter the route:

1K4 KPVW KROW HOPET WHOLE WIKKR KLRU

into Foreflight you can see what it looks like on the map (I'm thinking you'll leave from Perry).

• Donald DeWitt
17 Sep 2018 11:09 #5 by Donald DeWitt
Replied by Donald DeWitt on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Larry, what has become of the promised route, higher altitude tips, and fueling suggestions for those going to LRU? The only thing I have seen is a forwarded email on the Ercoupe email list in which the event organizer said those of us coming from the east should fly to Albuquerque, turn left, and follow the Rio Grande south to LRU. Not really practical for me.

Have I missed something?

Don
N94634

More
07 Sep 2018 20:53 #6 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
I wish I could make it this year but the timing is wrong with grape harvest.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds