Breadcrumbs

Taper shaft crank

• peter stephany
  • Topic Author
08 Oct 2018 20:37 #1 by peter stephany
Replied by peter stephany on topic Taper shaft crank
Good evening Arden, Just got airplane from auction, in excellent condition but got no Logs to tell history, old ELT battery was 1995! been sitting for some time. No rust on flange, just being stubborn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2018 20:19 #2 by Arden Krueger
Replied by Arden Krueger on topic Taper shaft crank
Is the flange rusted to the crankshaft? You may have to fabricate a plate to place behind the flange and set up a puller arranged so it is not pulling on the snap ring. I suggest talking to an A&P so you don’t damage anything if your not sure how to do this. Hope this helps.
Arden Krueger

• peter stephany
  • Topic Author
03 Oct 2018 19:34 #3 by peter stephany
Replied by peter stephany on topic Taper shaft crank
Just got this Ercoupe, has not ran for I figure about 20 years , engine in good shape but prop flange refuses to come off. installed a wedge, but snap ring just bypassed and snapped out out grove,

More
30 Sep 2018 21:40 #4 by Arden Krueger
Replied by Arden Krueger on topic Taper shaft crank
Have you ever had the flange off? I have a C 85 with a tapered shaft and have removed it for every annual for the last 20 years. The method I use is as follows. Remove the safety pin then lubricate the snap ring and loosen the nut with a bar through the holes the bar I use is about 18 inches long I get it about as tight as I can. Then I leave it set and go to work on something else for awhile 30 minutes then come back and tighten it again after a few tries it comes loose. This method allows the pressure to slowly pull the hub from the taper on the shaft.
If the snap ring wants to pop out you will have to make wedge that fits between the ends and hold it in place.
I always check the condition of the shaft and key way for any sign of cracking then make sure it is clean apply a light coat of anti seize and when installing make sure the key does not slide back so the flange seats on the taper tighten by hand then torque to 200 lb ft.

• peter stephany
  • Topic Author
26 Sep 2018 20:28 #5 by peter stephany
Taper shaft crank was created by peter stephany
Having difficulty removing prop flange on C75/85 taper shaft, any suggestions?

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds