Breadcrumbs

Metal Wings Yes or NO

• cubvarga
13 May 2016 09:41 #1 by cubvarga
Replied by cubvarga on topic Metal Wings Yes or NO
Bravo!! weight is the killer of having a fun flight. So many small things added to your aircraft will over gross it in no time. Rag wings is a plus and wood props another good thing. The more you can do to lighten the load the better. More than likely if you own an Ercoupe it's going to be in a hanger protected from the elements anyway. Your proud of the Coupe so don't make it work so hard keeping you in the air. Also Dito's to the last post.TKS....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2016 14:37 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Metal Wings Yes or NO
Rag wings are about 40 pounds lighter. Also, it breathes a little better and any moisture in the wings can dissipate faster. Although it's not cheap, recovering, which must be done every 30 years or so, gives an excellent opportunity to examine the wing structure for corrosion and cracks. When I did mine in 2013 we found severely corroded rear spars. I would never have seen that in a metal wing. So now I'm a ragwing believer.
Larry
N99340

More
27 Dec 2015 19:16 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Metal Wings Yes or NO
Considering the longevity of modern covering fabrics, I'm not sure there is an advantage to metal wings. They are slightly heavier, but maybe more resistant to damage. Selecting one over the other would depend on how and where you use your plane. I think the better question would be, "Is there enough of an advantage of one system over the other to warrant the expense of switching." After watching people discuss this over the years, I have concluded the answer is no. But I would love to hear from someone that feels strongly about one or the other.

• Topic Author
27 Dec 2015 18:17 #4 by 10186
Metal Wings Yes or NO was created by 10186
Advantages if any of metal wings

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds