Breadcrumbs

Stromberg Carb GPH Terrible

28 Apr 2016 13:21 #1 by 9792
Replied by 9792 on topic Stromberg Carb GPH Terrible
Holy Cow! Mine was rebuilt, and does indeed lean. (It's a c85) I generally poke along at slowish speeds, rpm at or below 2000, and have gotten as low as 3.5 or so; that leg may have tailwind to figure in. But with just me, my solid average is 3.8. With a passenger, a bit over 5.1. What's your altitude? I'm in Ohio, home field is 1028'. But after the rebuild, even tho my mechanic was skeptical, as I don't get much over 5000', it works, whenever I've used it. On return of the carb, I did request, (I believe!) an extended arm for the leaning cable, to have it work with greater sensitivity - if that makes sense. I seldom pull the knob more than the thickness of my index finger tip, about 1/2 inch. One doesn't want to be too lean, and get too hot! ( supported by the same mechanic, after grilling me on what I was doing!) Steve, NC87100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
03 Apr 2016 20:01 #2 by 10109
Replied by 10109 on topic Stromberg Carb GPH Terrible
Thanks for your input. I also found the same info on another web page. So you confirmed what I had found. Thanks again, Regards, Larry

More
02 Apr 2016 21:30 #3 by Charles Rosenfeld
Replied by Charles Rosenfeld on topic Stromberg Carb GPH Terrible
Larry,
Hangar lore that states that the Stromberg carb mixture must be wired shut is dead wrong. The mixture cable moves a tapered slot on a disc that controls air mixture...sometimes that disc is installed incorrectly. Mixture changes take some time to observe...and are most easily seen on a precision exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gage.

You're fuel consumption seems far greater than can be explained by mixture alone...it needs more investigation.

• Topic Author
15 Mar 2016 21:02 #4 by 10109
Stromberg Carb GPH Terrible was created by 10109
My Stromberg was totally rebuilt 212 hours ago. It does not leak or weep. It can't be leaned the way it was set up by the previous Ercoupe owner. A review of friends that run the C85 in an Ercoupe reveals gas usage of 4.4 to 5.6 GPH at 70% power. I burn 6.8 to 7.8 gph at only 60% power. If I go to 70% the GPH goes way up. My mechanic said the Stronberg does not have an adjustment to lean the mixture. I think he is wrong. Yet others tell me it can be. What is the way to resolve this. Regards, Larry N 93436 Tucson, Az 520-444-4390 Please fell free to call me.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds