Breadcrumbs

Side Window Scratches

More
30 Apr 2016 08:26 #1 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Side Window Scratches
The inner side panel is attached to the seat bottom with one screw. This pulls out and the side panel distorts and rubs on the window and scratches it. Repair that before replacing or fixing the window. I also like to line the inner panel with felt or other soft fabric. I think Erco used felt rub strips but am not sure of that.

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
14 Apr 2016 13:55 #2 by 9912
Replied by 9912 on topic Side Window Scratches
Thanks Steve:

Do you know what causes them in the first place? I worry that after all that work, unless the original cause is corrected, the scrathes will return.

Ted

• Steve McNew
11 Apr 2016 13:33 #3 by Steve McNew
Replied by Steve McNew on topic Side Window Scratches
Ah, the world of scratches! I'm working on mine with a box of stuff from Spruce, a window polishing kit pointed out to me by Mike Jenkins. It is working; 4 degrees of goop, polished by two (fine and not quite so) foam pads on an electric drill. The side windows come out easily - removing the small plate over the center of the forward window welting - am polishing on an old blanket laid on the work table in my hangar. Slow, but safer than fast! My favorite A&P says it could be speeded up a bit with the kit of stuff used on car headlights, that being a series of pretty fine abrasive pads, used by hand. Am planning to try them on the more aggressive scratches. Up front, only the rotary foam pads & drill; the old crazing is slowly disappearing. Hope that this helps; it is something to do on the more lousy days - Good luck, Steve

• Topic Author
04 Apr 2016 09:38 #4 by 9912
Side Window Scratches was created by 9912
In my 415C and many other Ercoupes I've seen, I notice that the sliding side windows may start clear when new but soon develop horizontal scratches and black marks that are not erasable. Seems to happen when retracted. Does any one know what causes them, how they can be removed (if at all), and how to prevent them when a new window is inserted.

Ted

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds