Breadcrumbs

ADS-B Dongle Cheap?

More
14 Apr 2016 09:26 #1 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic ADS-B Dongle Cheap?
That's cool! I'd look at their website to know which ones they support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2016 09:19 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic ADS-B Dongle Cheap?
Actually, Avare has a plug in that can use the SDR receiver dongles directly. Check it out. I think it's $2.99 at the Google Play store.

Larry
N99340

More
14 Apr 2016 09:16 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic ADS-B Dongle Cheap?
Yeah - no. The SDR dongles do the receiving, but until you turn that into messages usef by the GDL-90 protocol, your flying app won't recognize it at all. AFAIK, there's no app-based (FF, iFly, WingX, etc) support for the radio dongles.

Stratux does what you're looking for, as well as adding GPS/AHRS support. It uses 1 or two dongles for 978MHZ and 1080 Mhz support. If you only have one dongle, you get 978Mhz, which is GA traffic and ADS-B in (I can't remember if that's FIS-B or TIS-B. 1080 Mhz is the other).

More
14 Apr 2016 09:01 #4 by Larry Snyder
ADS-B Dongle Cheap? was created by Larry Snyder
I happened to notice that one of the direct-from-China online stores is selling SDR-RTL tuners for $7 or so. These are the receivers you can plug into an Android tablet to get ADS-B data for flight planning, etc. At least I think so! I'm not an electronics expert, but it sure looks like the right thing. Imagine getting ADS-B weather on your Android tablet for $7! I'll paste in the link here. If anyone with electronics expertise can verify which of the many dongles they sell will work, that would be great! The link is for one of them, but they carry several different ones.

www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_188367.html

Larry
N99340

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds