Breadcrumbs

Engine oil tank

More
15 Jun 2016 10:33 #1 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Engine oil tank
On my Alon, I added a "plate restrictor" (makes me seem more "NASCAR", doesn't it....) that blocks the airflow over the oil sump. That added about 40 degrees to my oil temp. I leave it on all year (and I live in Texas). Temps never get higher than 180.

The reason I did that is to boil the water out of the oil. Otherwise, I got lots of congealing and water in the oil sump.

josef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2016 10:23 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Engine oil tank
I've been trying to get my oil temps up in the winter. I have a plate that covers the opening under the prop, and that gives me a few degrees. I tried a blanket that Spruce sells that snaps around the oil tank, but really didn't notice much change. I would recommend removing that blanket, however, because in the summer it might make it run too hot.

More
15 Jun 2016 10:07 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Engine oil tank
I don't recall any reference to a thermal blanket on the oil sump in any of the STC's People do mention the difficulty of keeping the engine at their preferred operating temperature and some have added a sump blanket to control this. I'm not sure if it is really necessary, the Continental specification allowed a pretty large range for engine termperature. EIL #1 specifies the engine temperature gauge to be marked green between 100 and 220 degrees.

• cubvarga
  • Topic Author
15 Jun 2016 08:50 #4 by cubvarga
Engine oil tank was created by cubvarga
Question: my oil tank has a well made thermal foil blanket attached to the outside of the oil tank. Gold plated stainless foil with hooks for safety wire. Can anyone tell me if this is a part for one of the STC's. Either 1320 lbs. upgrade. Or baffle kit for C75 to C85 STC. Would this keep the oil warm in cold flying weather. Or cooler with the baffle kit.TKS.....

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds