Breadcrumbs

Nosewheel Steering Adjustment

More
03 Dec 2016 09:56 #1 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
That's good. I had one break taxing on grass. I would hate for it to break on landing on grass. No Ercoupe goes out of my hangar with a ball joint but to each their own.

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2016 09:10 - 03 Dec 2016 09:11 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
I've had the ball joint for 12 years and 1500 landings and the only time it ever broke was when some asshole line boy oversteered the nose wheel with a tug. Doesn't hurt to replace the ball every once in a while. Costs like $10.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2016 09:11 by Larry Snyder.

More
03 Dec 2016 09:08 #3 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
There is a heim joint on the bottom of the column. Adjustable by loosening the jam nut and not easy to get to. The original joint on the nose strut side was a ball socket. That is adjusted with a flat blade screwdriver on the end of the control rod. If you have this style get rid of it before the ball socket breaks and replace it with the new style heim.

Kevin

More
29 Nov 2016 07:37 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
Mine is adjusted from under the floor, too. Seems like it would be better to put the adjustment up by the steering collar, but it's not that way.

• Chris Pirrmann
  • Topic Author
29 Nov 2016 07:35 #5 by Chris Pirrmann
Replied by Chris Pirrmann on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
Thanks for the info. I'll take another look at the yoke.

More
28 Nov 2016 21:23 #6 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Nosewheel Steering Adjustment
Interesting description. On mine (sn 1065), the adjustment is at the base of the control column (yoke?) beneath the floor board. The easiest way to access it is to remove the floor board. The steering push rod is connected to the control column with a "heim bearing", same as you will find on all the other push rods. Adjustment is made by screwing the bearing in or out. There is a jam nut that has to be loosened first. The ball and socket are on the landing gear end of the push rod, no adjustment there other than tightening the socket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Pirrmann

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds