Breadcrumbs

TSO

More
12 Dec 2016 10:42 - 12 Dec 2016 10:46 #7 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic TSO
Found it:

edburkhead.com/Ercoupe/TSO_Instrument_Requirement.htm

I am quoting from a message that was posted on the tech list. Names have been removed to protect the innocent. BTW, I think these documents are on Ed Burkhead's site. Unfortunately, I don't remember the URL right now.

"As you may remember, I have fought the issue of TSO-Non-TSO at least 3 times (radio, altimeter & ASI) and won. When each of those happened, I posted the documentation, which included e.g. letters from the FSDO conceding the point, which I used to reassure the avionics techs, A&Ps, etc., that the only instrument which a VFR Ercoupe 415 needs to have TSO’d is the transponder. For example, the non-TSO’d ASI must meet the same standard that was required when our planes were certified under the C.A.R.; if I recall correctly now (without digging out the documentation again) that standard was something like +/- 5 mph.

"If someone who knows how to search our archives would like to pull those postings up, I’d gladly give permission for them to be put on some more permanent, easy-to-access web location for everyone to access, such as Hartmut’s &/or the EOC (IIRC, in fact, I think Ed Burkhead may have put some of it on his website…but it has been long ago so I don’t recall the details). Sorry, it just takes me too long to find those things over again in my own electronic files after 10 years of Ercoupe ownership, to do so each time the TSO-Non-TSO issue comes up again (every year or two).

"Having said that, I did run into one radio shop who said that their own insurance policy prohibited them from installing anything that was not TSO’d, no matter how legal it was. So, law or policy analysis aside, one can’t expect a shop to buck its insurance carrier if they are adamant. Fortunately, I found others who were not, and happily installed anything I could demonstrate was legal.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2016 10:46 by Larry Snyder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 10:33 #8 by Larry Snyder
I guess you ask 4 people you'll get 5 answers. Linda Abrams in California went through a long process figuring out if she could put a non-TSO radio in her Ercoupe. The conclusion drawn was that she could. This is one of the biggest headaches with a bureaucracy like the FAA (or IRS). It seems that the rules are so poorly written that they can be interpreted multiple ways, and if you're checked it's the luck of the draw whether you are legal or not.

• Jack Arthur
12 Dec 2016 10:26 #9 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic TSO
I called my local FISDO to make sure that Larry is correct. I got an entirely different answer. If it is a certified plane any addition that is permanently installed needs to be TSOed. He did say you could do a 337 for a non Tsoed instrument, but FISDO was not in the business to certify parts,.

This is what I was told by FISDO, you might want to call your local FISDO and get their input.

More
08 Dec 2016 17:54 #10 by Larry Snyder
it does not have to be TSOd. We've been through a lot of discussion on this, and anything other than the transponder and encoder do not have to be TSOd.

More
08 Dec 2016 16:02 #11 by George Sellers
TSO was created by George Sellers
I am looking for a panel mounted intercom for my 415C, but I have been getting mixed information concerning whether or not the intercom has to be TSO or not. Any thoughts? Also, what brand of intercom do you have in your Coupe?

Thanks--George

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds