Breadcrumbs

Wood props?

More
11 Feb 2017 16:35 #1 by John Phillips
Replied by John Phillips on topic Wood props?
Has to do with moisture absorption if the prop. gets rained on directly. If horizontal both blades absorb near equal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2017 16:20 #2 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Wood props?
Thank you for the comments, John.
What is the reason for parking the prop in the horizontal position? In an open T- hangar I figured vertical would be better to keep birds off the prop.

More
11 Feb 2017 16:13 #3 by John Phillips
Replied by John Phillips on topic Wood props?
Nothing wrong with a wooden prop. It should not decide against buying a 'coupe.
It's lighter so that's weight you will not have to pack around every trip.
Use sleeves if you like but make sure they do not retain moisture or it could be worse than no sleeves.
Always make sure the prop. is horizontal when not flying.
Check torque on the prop. bolts at least every annual and maybe even in between.
Sensenich can give you the proper torque on the bolts.
Stay off gravel strips and do run-ups on a firm surface.
They are pretty.

More
30 Jan 2017 12:20 #4 by Ken Thompson
Wood props? was created by Ken Thompson
What are you thoughts on wood props. I see a 425-D that has a wood prop. Nice looking prop. metalized leading edge and tips.
My plane would be in a T hangar that is open in the front but faces EAST. It's very rare that we have any weather coming from the east. but I would still have "sleeves" on it to protect it.
How does humidity affect a wood prop? This is SE Texas but about 120 miles inland from the Gulf. Humidity is not too bad here but it's certainly not the desert.

I understand that wood props are lighter and run smoother due to less vibration. This one looks really nice with this plane. The prop is only a few years old.

I hear that they can be damaged if flying in rain, though the metal edges and tips should alleviate that, right? And I realize that they would come up on the losing end of a bird strike.

Any other pros and cons? If I otherwise like the plane and the PreBuy checks out, is there any reason I should avoid the plane based solely on it having a wood prop? Replacing it with a metal one is not an expense I would like to undertake any time soon.

Picture of prop in question attached.

Thanks for your input.

Ken Thompson
Bellville TX
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds