Breadcrumbs

Prop talk

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
30 Nov 2017 20:39 #1 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Prop talk
Thanks Larry. I've since talked with the folks at Maxwell Aviation and they say that if the prop is serviceable and has enough meat left on it they'll overhaul and dynamically balance it for $700 so that's what I think I'll do. Just bought new tires for my car so budget is stretched. Maybe next month. I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2017 19:46 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Prop talk
I would recommend you find a good prop shop and get it overhauled, just to be sure. I would not recommend a wood prop, you are correct in fearing the elements. I would think an overhaul would save you quite a bit over a new prop! Let us know what you decide!

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
24 Nov 2017 14:03 #3 by Chris Carlisle
Prop talk was created by Chris Carlisle
Hi folks......Happy Thanksgiving from South Dakota where the temps in the 50's and we're wondering where the snow went. It usually means the first storm will make up for it. Waiting for the hammer to fall.

My 415C, ser# 508 with a C85-12F engine has a 71" long, 48" pitch McCauley prop that does a fine job. It passes annual inspections but it's been 20 years since it was overhauled in California at American Propeller Service (3 owners ago) and I have a distinct vibration in the 1500-2000 rpm range which is very noticeable when reducing power on downwind and makes me inclined to either extend or shorten the downwind to avoid that range. I did some crude tracking/measuring and it seems to track ok but one blade is about 1/8" shorter than the other. The overall length is right at 71" but is hard to measure accurately without removing the spinner which I didn't have time to do today. The previous owners were dubious at best and I wouldn't be surprised if they lopped off a little for balancing or something. In any case, I'm inclined to just bite the bullet, take it off and send it to Maxwell in Minneapolis for overhaul.

Has anyone had experience with them? How much for an avg overhaul, assuming it passes initial inspection? Rumor has it that they have some used units and can save a person considerable $ over a new prop which runs about $4800 at Univair. Also considering wooden replacement although I'm a little dubious about the wild temp swings here and how that would effect a wood prop's behavior, mounting bolt torque, etc.

Thanks,
Chris
415C, ser# 508
Sioux Falls, SD

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds