Breadcrumbs

Fuel starvation

• Thomas Vorpe
15 Sep 2021 08:07 #1 by Thomas Vorpe
Replied by Thomas Vorpe on topic Fuel starvation
Just now seeing this post…. That was my acceptance flight when I went to purchase the airplane. I think what sold me on the airplane was that it was just a non event putting it down in the field. True, the field was smoother than many grass strips but nevertheless. I felt as if the airplane was telling me…. It’s not my fault, buy me and I’ll take care of you. So far so good. It’s safe and sound in its new home in Utopia Texas. Thank you for your council.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2020 23:38 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Fuel starvation
No problem - I just thought that may be a "south of France" dialect. :)

• Henry Pasquet
  • Topic Author
24 Apr 2020 20:01 #3 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Fuel starvation
Forgive me for misspelling Coupe.

• Henry Pasquet
  • Topic Author
24 Apr 2020 19:56 #4 by Henry Pasquet
Fuel starvation was created by Henry Pasquet
My mechanic was selling a Forney F-1 for a friend when the engine stopped on the acceptance flight. He made a safe off airport landing with no damage. The fuselage tank was empty. He suspected a failed fuel pump. I suggested he check the fuel shut-off valve from the wing tanks to the fuel pump. He had noted just before take off that it was at a 45 degree angle. He turned it fully on. Today, when I landed , he came up to me with the fuel valve. He showed me how someone in the past had removed the selecter and installed it 90 degrees off, making on off and off on. One screw holds it on. It can be installed four different ways and upsidedown. At 45 degrees, fuel was transferred to the fuselage tank, but on, shut it off, causing fuel starvation.
Yes, he should have noticed the fuel indicator dropping, but he only had minimal time in a Cuope. He was focused on showing the plane to the buyer. I too need to monitor the fuselage fuel gage more than I do. It is easy to get complacent because it is so reliable. Vernon said other Cuopes have also had the same problem.
No new valve is available, so we need to exercise extra caution on a new plane and after all maintenance, including annuals. Remember Murphy's law.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds