Breadcrumbs

Got my LSA license Feb. 15, 2017 YAA HOOO!

More
06 Mar 2017 17:25 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Got my LSA license Feb. 15, 2017 YAA HOOO!
Just because you took your check ride in an Ercoupe it does not necessarily mean you have a restricted license. If there is no comment on the license about limited to 2-control aircraft, then you have no such restriction. It is purely up to the examiner, and many do not put that restriction on the license.
As for add-ons to the sport pilot license, just make sure you're signed off for Class D and C airspace. It may take some extra training time.
It's never too late to fly! I got my license at 54 and now I'm 66 and have 1400+ hours!

Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 14:21 #2 by Joe Messinger
Replied by Joe Messinger on topic Got my LSA license Feb. 15, 2017 YAA HOOO!
Congratulations on joining the club. It is my understanding that your license would be limited to flying a Coupe due to the fact you have been flying an airplane with interconnected ailerons and rudder. It is not a rudderless airplane, you just don’t have rudder pedals. In order to legally fly an airplane equipped with rudder pedals you would need more instruction and, I would imagine, another check ride with an FAA examiner (check with your local FSDO). I would think the check ride would be limited to using the rudders in maneuvers such as slips, coordinated turns (the coupe does that for you), stalls, etc. That said, unless you want to fly another airplane, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you are going to add anything to your LSA ticket, I’d suggest radio procedures, unless you already did that. If memory serves me correctly unless you were flying out of a towered airport you’d need that for tower operations. Check with your CFI. Since I have a private, it wasn’t an issue for me when I started flying LSA.

• Thom Darrow
  • Topic Author
01 Mar 2017 11:14 #3 by Thom Darrow
Got my LSA license Feb. 15, 2017 YAA HOOO! was created by Thom Darrow
I went for my LSA license 2-15-17 and got it! With a drivers license. I enjoy flying my 1946 Ercoupe 415C.
After passing the flight test I was told that I would not be able to fly anything but a rudder less aircraft. I somewhat knew that from the start. The thing I did not know was if I wanted to get to use rudder pedals I would need to take another complete check ride in a rudder activated aircraft. Is that true? I thought a ride with a flight instructor was all that was needed as a check out.
If that is true I really don't mind. The Ercoupe is my airplane it's a nose wheel aircraft. When I got my LSA license the check ride pilot said on that day that I was the newest and the oldest LSA pilot. I'm 68 years old. TKS.....

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds