Breadcrumbs

New Member Intro

• DAVID Smith
  • Topic Author
17 Oct 2019 15:49 #7 by DAVID Smith
New Member Intro was created by DAVID Smith
Glad to find this club. My name is Dave Smith. I live in Omaha, Nebraska. My father, Richard Smith of Hutchinson, Kansas is an AP/AI. As a youngster I can remember waking early to drag a GA plane that had most likely been ground looped back to the abandoned naval base South of Hutchinson where dad had a small shop. We'd spend a few weeks or months rebuilding, then fly the plane for a while until it sold and then do it all again.
Later in life dad bought an Alon and I really enjoyed that plane. It was stable, docile and a hoot to fly with the windows down. Dad doesn't fly much these days but I still have the bug. Last year I came across N99796 for sale. It had belonged to Gerald Horn of Ypsilanti, Michigan. Gerald had passed in 2007 and his son had kept the plane garaged until 2018 when he decided to sell it.
I am in the process of rebuilding N99796, a 1946, 415C, with Dad's help and hope to have an AC sometime in 2020. I'll fly it as an LSA. I'm sure I will have inquiries as I work through the process of rebuilding the plane and getting qualified for my Sport Pilot's license. I want to tank you all in advance for your help in this regard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds