Breadcrumbs

Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.

More
26 Sep 2020 14:12 #1 by John Farrell
Replied by John Farrell on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
Great story, Michael; I too am new to my Coupe having owned 5 Bonanzas and one Deb over the past 23 years. Will turn 79 in two weeks, so the coupe will more than likely be my last plane. Just starting my "getting to know her" after three landings with a friend of the owner. My major concern is fuel load for me and my instructor: I am 6' 220, he is 180. The coupe is a '48 415E with C85 and IA90 71/48 metal prop. EW is 936, Gross 1400. What's your opinion on flying slightly above gross wt, say 30 lbs or so? I think I would like to carry at least 15 gallons total: six in the header tank and at least four in each wing tank. Puts us about 30lbs over gross. Appreciate your thoughts. Recommendations, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2020 13:53 #2 by John Earl
Replied by John Earl on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
Thank you all for your comments and advice!
With your help and other members of the group, especially Brian Jardine, I was able to inspect, and sit in 2 different ercoupes yesterday. I was even treated to a flight in one of them, which was great.
I learned:
1. The seat makes a difference. In one of the planes my head was about an inch from the top of the canopy. In the other, which had a modified seat, my head was about 3 inches from the top of the canopy.
2. The cockpit felt roomy, with 2 people, and there was plenty of leg room.
3. With 2 people, about 400 lbs total, 3/4 fuel, 80 Degrees and 2500 ft field elevation and 4000 ft density altitude, climb was 200 to 300 fpm.
4. Outstanding ground handling. Great visibility and maneuverability. Good braking control.
5. Very good flight characteristics. The plane was easy to control, smooth break in a stall, and very nice to land. Winds were light with a little buffeting at 4000 MSL.

Overall, I was very impressed with the plane.

More
31 Aug 2020 08:06 #3 by William James
Replied by William James on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
John , suggest you talk to Sid Cohen or Larry Snyder . . . the Ercoupe is not a "bush plane" capable bird. It is in my opinion a great Knock around and even a decent cross country bird for those who love flying and are in no hurry (how's 5 gallon an hour travel ?) . My wife and I make 400 mile flights and traverse the "Blue Ridge" (around 5000 ft max) easily. It is a good short field landing bird but you need lots of asphalt/grass in front of you for take-off and generally 300 to 400 fpm climb . Sure would not consider sand bar action . Again, talk to the Ercoupe Guru's above.

• Gale York
31 Aug 2020 05:05 #4 by Gale York
Replied by Gale York on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
I’m 6’2” 240# and fly a Forney F1 w/30 gal tanks. Flew with my 200# CfII for 5 hrs when purchased for Ins requirements. Snug, but worked fine. At one point had 20-22 gal of fuel (over gross), but performance was good. Probably 70-75 degrees. 300+ fpm, so I’m very pleased with my plane. (46” pitch at that time)

More
29 Aug 2020 17:04 - 29 Aug 2020 17:05 #5 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
I hadn't flown since 1997 when FBO/airport closed for a shopping center. Got an LSA amphib last fall, so I did 10 hours of tailwheel training last winter in Florida and completed the BFR, Then the Ercoupe feel in my lap during the Covid lockdown.
Never been in one. I was lucky to find an Ercoupe instructor and mechanic in central Illinois. I did 5 hours with him to get familiar and also meet my insurance companies requirements. Following week flew airlines out to Portland ME, met my new airplane that had a fresh annual and a 1/2 hour test flight by an LSA/GLIDER CFI. I flew in the patter 2 hours the next day and left the following day and flew the Ercoupe in 85 degree weather 1000 sm from Laconia NH to Frankfort Michigan. Had a great time, little plane chugged along and never gave me a scare or care on the way home 2 1/2 days, 8 legs, a 300mi day, 120mi day and 590mi day, sipping 5gal/hr and only burned a 1/2qt of oil in 17 hours. I have flown her 28 hours now since July 16th. She's fun, easy to fly, landings and takeoffs are different but after the first 5 it's pretty straight forward as long as you keep her moving, she chirps right onto runway and slows right down. Engine just turned 1600 hours on her last major overhaul, so I don't abuse her, not much to do except keep her from going past engine redline in cruise, I need a little different prop but I set her at about 2200 rpms and I see about 93mph with a 71.5x46 metal propeller, with a 72x48 prop I think she would be a 100mph airplane at 2275 max rpm.
I was comfortable after my first day on the legs coming home. Haven't closed the canopy yet, like driving a convertible all the time, Use sunblock, had a good sunburn on my cheeks and forehead that first day. They are happy little airplanes, just keep checking everything, they are senior citizens so treat them well. They sure do attract lookers, gawkers and questions wherever you go. 3 times I've had retired airline pilots now flying bizjets come up and share stories about coupe adventures and all wishing they still had one. Had a Premier 1 guy lean on my wing telling me stories and good airports to visit on my way west for an hour the first day I got her. Then he remembered he needed to go get ice and soft-drinks for his client's jet.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2020 17:05 by Michael Hainen. Reason: grammar

More
29 Aug 2020 15:23 #6 by John Earl
Replied by John Earl on topic Show me your Boise, ID area Ercoupe.
Micael,

I have not flown for about 7 years. I have gotten BFRs but no significant time. Did you get training in the Ercoupe or did you already have time in it? If so, how many hours to get comfortable with it?

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds