Breadcrumbs

LSA Ercoupe questions

• Steve McNew
13 Feb 2017 12:48 #1 by Steve McNew
Replied by Steve McNew on topic LSA Ercoupe questions
Bernard - the fabric wings are fine; mine are Ceconite, and if kept hangared (to beat UV radiation, and other problems) the stuff has a very long life. It can be tested at each annual inspection - at which you can usually assist, saving money and learning the aircraft. Not sure of cost; check around! Where are you?
Wish I still weighed 185! There is a weight increase measure that you can take - involves adding a strip to your horizontal stabilizer, and it raises your LSA weight to #1320. A good thing. My field is at 1028', and I'm often off the ground in 1/3 of our 3000' paving; landing is usually using half of it. Trees only on one end, but up in a shortish takeoff, we're quite well clear of them, even loaded up. Your 2350' ought to be fine! Our grass strip here is often rather soggy, so I use the asphalt - just keep your tires properly inflated, and all is well. I have recapped tires, by the way - lots cheaper, and work just fine. Many airlines use them.
The Coupe is my favorite plane - tho have flown others. It is friendly and if one has some sense, quite the good fly! I will soon be going with the top down - usually some April days through Oct. - the plane is warm enough in winter,too, at least into the teens, and cooler air does make for more sprightly performance. You will have a good lot of fun! Do a good pre-buy inspection; it will pay you. Keep in touch, if you like - Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bernard Scott
  • Topic Author
13 Feb 2017 09:37 - 13 Feb 2017 09:45 #2 by Bernard Scott
LSA Ercoupe questions was created by Bernard Scott
Hello,
I'm considering an Ercoupe LSA category. I've gotten information on a few, and all I've seen have metal wings with an empty weight north of 900 lbs. I understand the metal wings add about 40 lbs? So I might be able to find a fabric wing plane with an empty weight of say 880 lbs? That could make a big difference for me. I weigh 185 and my wife is around 140. Useful load of 440 would be much better than 400.

What is an approximate cost to recover a fabric wing plane when the time comes?

I'll be flying from airports about 600-700 agl. What kind of minimums would you suggest for runway length (both paved and grass)? I know this would vary with skill level and particular plane performance and temperature. For example, one option to hangar the plane would be a 2350 ft paved runway with 42 ft trees 292 ft from runway. Am considering some grass strips as well. I appreciate any help.

thanks,
Last edit: 13 Feb 2017 09:45 by Bernard Scott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds