Breadcrumbs

Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces

More
17 Sep 2018 14:06 #1654 by Donald DeWitt
Replied by Donald DeWitt on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Hi Larry:

Thanks for your response and routing. Bill Davis and I are going as a flight of two on much the same route. We are planning on staying overnight at ROW and then next day fly to Carlsbad, top the tanks and dogleg it southwest to the Dilli intersection, then to Newman VOR and then direct to LRU. Kind of the long way around (160 sm from CNM to LRU), but I hoping that we won't have to go higher than 6,500 - 7,000 msl.

Don

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2018 12:08 #1653 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
Yes, I was kind of hoping for a little more help, but really, it doesn't look to difficult from OKC. In fact, although we had intended to overnight in Fredericksburg, TX, going out there, we've been looking at a more direct route, which takes us through Oklahoma, From Mountain View we could stop at Ada, OK (KADH), then Plainview, TX (KPVW), the Roswell, NM (KROW), then go down between MOAs and restricted areas by crossing HOPET, then WHOLE, then WIKKR, then KLRU. I'll be doing flight following and checking just to see if I might be able to cross the restricted areas and skip the loop around them. The flight has an MEA mostly at 5500 or lower, except for that stretch southwest of Roswell, where it goes up to 8300.

If you just enter the route:

1K4 KPVW KROW HOPET WHOLE WIKKR KLRU

into Foreflight you can see what it looks like on the map (I'm thinking you'll leave from Perry).

More
17 Sep 2018 11:09 #1652 by Donald DeWitt
Larry, what has become of the promised route, higher altitude tips, and fueling suggestions for those going to LRU? The only thing I have seen is a forwarded email on the Ercoupe email list in which the event organizer said those of us coming from the east should fly to Albuquerque, turn left, and follow the Rio Grande south to LRU. Not really practical for me.

Have I missed something?

Don
N94634

More
07 Sep 2018 20:53 #1643 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
I wish I could make it this year but the timing is wrong with grape harvest.

More
06 Sep 2018 19:02 #1641 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Meet Up Locations Traveling to Las Cruces
We are flying Fredericksburg, Texas, the first day so we can approach LRU from the southeast the next day. It makes the route 25% longer, but we like Fredericksburg and it makes the approach pretty easy.

More
06 Sep 2018 18:39 #1640 by Donald DeWitt
I will be flying more or less direct from central Oklahoma to LRU, but it appears the approaches to LRU from the northeast, aside from a very narrow corridor from Alamogordo southwest, are blocked by large restricted areas.

Does anyone know if those restricted areas can be readily transited with permission from the controlling authorities?

It appears that another alternative is to fly to Carlsbad and then drop south and follow the Texas/New Mexico state line past El Paso and then into Las Cruces.

What are others coming from the northeast planning to do? Any other alternatives rather than the suggestion to fly to Albuquerque, turn left and follow the river to Las Cruces.

Don DeWitt
N94634

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds