Breadcrumbs

Just Joined the Club!

More
19 Feb 2024 22:51 #1 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Just Joined the Club!
Funny how things work out - I actually flew my first solo at KCGE in Cambridge. My home airport (W29 on Kent Island) was closed for runway resurfacing and although the flight school temporarily relocated to a nearby airpark, their insurance didn't allow student solo using the airpark's short grass strip.

I'll ask around and see if anyone knows an avionics tech who works in that area. That information could come in handy for both of us.

Whether it's sooner or later, let me know when your plane's ready to fly out of Cambridge. maybe I can check it out before you take it home to VA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2024 20:36 #2 by Eric Ingram
Replied by Eric Ingram on topic Just Joined the Club!
Hey Brooks, my plane is currently at my A&P's shop in Cambridge, MD and I live about 2 hrs away (by car) in VA

More
19 Feb 2024 03:20 #3 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Just Joined the Club!
Hey Eric! I'm in MD and also restoring an Ercoupe which I hope to be flying this spring. I can ask around about an avionics installer (my A&P has been around for a while knows a lot of people) but if you don't mind me asking, in what area is your plane based now? A lot of these guys seem to travel around in specific areas. I ran into this with aircraft weighing and transponder certifications - the best deals were from "that guy who comes through here and does everyone's plane" but the trick for a newbie is... finding that guy!

More
16 Feb 2024 22:32 #4 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Your Coupe
Sound like you are doing right by your Coupe... Big thumbs-up!

More
16 Feb 2024 14:50 #5 by Eric Ingram
Replied by Eric Ingram on topic Just Joined the Club!
Appreciate the insight. Definitely will move shoulder harnesses higher on the list, but I think it probably needs to be done after the baggage compartment stuff, right?

Will look into the Alpha battery relay, wasn't aware of it.

More
16 Feb 2024 13:45 #6 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Just Joined the Club!
Sounds like a lot of cool stuff!

Two things I think you might want to look at:

1. I’d put shoulder harnesses at the top of the list. Flying with lap belts only isn’t going to make you safe. I did a lot of research on Ercoupe crashes and some accidents seemed minor but with fatalities and others seemed major and the pilot walked away. The difference in shoulder harnesses. If you stop suddenly without shoulder harnesses you and the yoke are going to get together very quickly!

2. If you move the master switch to the panel, consider installing Alpha Aviation’s master battery relay. The original master switch in the coupe carries the full load of the battery. If you move it to the panel, you’ve got a long run of heavy, unprotected wire. The Alpha relay is only activated by the master grounding it. No hot wire, and the only load on the switch is to activate the relay. When the master is off, no 12vdc leaves the battery box.

Just a couple of safety suggestions.

Have fun.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds