Breadcrumbs

Call to action if you're interested in a new Autopilot

More
11 Nov 2023 10:22 #1 by Greg Harris
That looks awesome. I am having TailbeaconX and AV-30 installed this week. Thx for info!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2023 22:43 #2 by Brooks McNew
George - Thanks for filling out the survey and for the encouragement! My instructor just asked me to complete the pre-solo written test and to get my insurance certificate, so (knock on wood) I may end up soloing next week.

After a few lessons on VERY hot days under an RV12 bubble canopy, I'm really looking forward to flying the 'coupe with the windows down.

More
14 Sep 2023 15:50 #3 by George Sellers
Replied by George Sellers on topic Call to action if you're interested in a new Autopilot
Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting, and I filled out the survey.
Good luck on the Ercoupe and flying lessons.

George

More
08 Sep 2023 12:41 #4 by Brooks McNew
I read the threads about the Trio attempt.

I think this Uavionix news is encouraging. They have established a track record of getting useful and affordable devices into older GA aircraft. If they pull this off I think it could be a real success for them.

More
08 Sep 2023 11:40 #5 by John Jones
Thanks for the tip. I've pursued getting approval for a Trio single axis autopilot but ran into a dead end with the FAA (no surprise).

More
07 Sep 2023 16:55 #6 by Brooks McNew
Greetings everyone!

I've just joined the ranks of Ercoupe owners. The plane is currently getting a very thorough "I've been hangared for a few years" annual, center section corrosion-proofing, various STCs, and some new instruments. She won't be flying for a while but that's okay since I'm only halfway through my sport pilot training.

Training in RV12's has taught me the value of an autopilot, but as everyone knows that's a tall order for an Ercoupe.

I recently saw that Uavionix is working on a new autopilot they're calling "Retro Pilot" and it's extremely interesting. Basically, it's a horizontal rail clamped to your passenger yoke with a motorized weight that zips back and forth to control the ailerons. So it's only a single-axis autopilot but (a) it will have wing-levelling *plus* course and GPs steering via your AV-30, and (b) since it's a bolt-on accessory there shouldn't be any worrying about STC's, AML's, or 337's... just strap it on (like a yoke-mounted Ipad) and go!

Short video of the prototype here

So why the call to action? Because Uavionix just quietly launched a retroPilot Interest Survey page . I already filled it out and they didn't SPAM me. If you're interested, I encourage you to sign up - it's very quick and will hopefully encourage Uavionx to the retroPilot with Ercoupes in mind.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds