Breadcrumbs

Another plug for MKC...

More
28 Feb 2024 18:01 #1 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Another plug for MKC...
Nice article Larry!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2023 07:50 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Another plug for MKC...
Approach over downtown Kansas City

Attachments:

More
20 Dec 2023 07:48 #3 by Larry Snyder
Another plug for MKC... was created by Larry Snyder
Just got back from a trip to Kansas City, Missouri, landing at Wheeler Downtown airport (KMKC). It's a great airport to get in some practice on radio work and flying in fairly busy airspace. The controllers are nice, and it's a chance to actually talk to approach, tower and ground for real. I flew up from Mountain View, Arkansas, and talked to Memphis Center, Springfield (MO) Approach, Kansas City Center, Kansas City Approach, Downtown Tower and Downtown Ground.What fun! They sent me straight in over downtown Kansas City to runway 01, just shy of 7,000 feet long. I had to roll out a ways to get to the taxiway.

That brings me to their GA facilities on the west ramp. Looks like 4 free tiedowns. Lucky for me only 3 were taken! They have a fueling island that can handle 2 airplanes at a time, and nice new terminal building. The access code to the terminal is printed on the receipt from the fuel pump. Luckily, there's almost always a receipt stuck in the card reader, so you can usually find the code without buying fuel. I had to anywayy, so the old receipt wasn't necessary.  I also found out that if you rattle the door they think you're too dumb to use the code and let you in.

Fuel was $4.69! It's $5.48 at my little airport!

You are now right at downtown Kansas City. Unfortunately they are tearing down the old Broadway Bridge so get into downtown is more involved than usual. You can get an Uber or rent a card through Atlantic Aviation, a jet-only FBO next door to the GA area.

What's near? Arthur Bryant's BBQ, world famsou, lots of great restaurants and access to the KC Royals stadium and KC Chiefs stadium, etc. We have family there so we usually go to visit. Be aware - next summer the National Convention is in Ottawa, KS, just a short hop from Kansas City - I recommend MKC and on site visit the Airline History Museum (Connie Super G) and the TWA Museum. This airport was inaugurated by Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart. Great history!

Check it out! ADS-B out required, of course.

Larry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Billie Lenz

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds