Breadcrumbs

TailbeaconX and AV-30

More
18 Jan 2024 20:17 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
Go to Home Depot an get an electric wire puller... I use one to pull my wires from the rear to the cockpit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Harris
  • Greg Harris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
16 Nov 2023 20:36 - 16 Nov 2023 20:37 #2 by Greg Harris
Replied by Greg Harris on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
When the previous owner flew my plane down from New Hampshire to Ocean City, NJ, he had to snake his way around since there was no transponder or ADSB. I plan to fly from my home outside of Philadelphia to my summer place in Ocean City which unfortunately has PHL, Northeast Philly, Atlantic City, NJ and Trenton Mercer airports all in between. There is a corridor I can slide through, but not worth it. Last thing I wanted to do was spend $5k but it’s the right thing to do. If you have a working transponder, then the TailBeacon alone is only around $2,000.

My problem was I needed transponder and ADSB and my vacuum system is toast. So this combination of instruments handles it all for me. And I lose a good 10+ lbs by removing vacuum ones.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2023 20:37 by Greg Harris.

More
16 Nov 2023 14:39 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
I don’t know what the consensus is, but unless you are absolutely sure you will never enter class C or a mode C ring it’s worth having. I live in a state with few controlled airports but I like to fly to a little airport close to downtown Memphis for lunch sometimes. Seems like fairly often I am in Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis Oklahoma City or some other airspace.

Not to mention that flight following works better with ADS-B.

Even though 75% of my flying doesn’t require ADS-B
Out, I’d sure miss that other 25%!

More
16 Nov 2023 14:15 - 16 Nov 2023 14:17 #4 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
I've been trying to decide if I actually need a transponder/encoder/ADSB out.  My airplane is hangared outside the Twin Cities Mode C veil.  I can circle around it to visit friends and family. The only time I might need ADSB is if I fly to Fort Myers, Florida to visit in-laws.  Looks to be a narrow gap between Orlando's Mode C and Tampa's Mode C, above the 1,600 ceiling of Bartow Executive's Class D airspace, where a guy could fly the Coupe without any electronics or permissions at all.  Am I reading that right?  If so, maybe I'll put a few thousand into gas instead of avionics.  What's the consensus?   

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2023 14:17 by Nathan Bissonette. Reason: remove attachment

• Greg Harris
  • Greg Harris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
13 Nov 2023 10:07 #5 by Greg Harris
Replied by Greg Harris on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
I will be sure to update this thread. It's a great combination of products for those without transponders. And pricing is reasonable.

More
13 Nov 2023 10:05 #6 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic TailbeaconX and AV-30
Greg, please share what you learn about TailbeaconX - AV30 installation cost.  I bought an Ercoupe over the weekend and mine doesn't have a transponder either (I do have a tail light and it does work).  

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds