Breadcrumbs

Nose bowl & Prop removal (DIY?)

More
01 Dec 2019 20:24 #1 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Nose bowl & Prop removal (DIY?)
take a sharpie and draw a line from the prop hub onto the backing plate, then from the backing plate to the crankshaft flange, that way you can get the prop indexed the exact way it came off.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dennis Tar
  • Topic Author
23 Oct 2019 18:16 #2 by Dennis Tar
Replied by Dennis Tar on topic Nose bowl & Prop removal (DIY?)
Thanks Can the washers be reused or should they be replaced?

More
23 Oct 2019 16:45 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Nose bowl & Prop removal (DIY?)
Any time the prop is removed, the plane is unairworthy. (Obviously) What that means is that you need an A&P to sign off getting it put back on. Depending on your relationship with your A&P he/she may or may not trust you to do that.

The work is easy. Remove the spinner. Remove the safety wire. Unbolt the prop. Set it aside (carefully! if you drop it, that's really bad). Remove the cowling and nose bowl. (lots of screws - I recommend dropping them in safety solvent to remove any grime that may have built up over time).

Mess with the breather tube as needed. Get an A&P to sign off that work.

Inspect your front spinner plate for cracks, etc.

Put the whole mess back together. Be VERY careful not to over-torque the prop bolts. I think it's 22-27 ft-lbs. I use 25. Use the specified washers. (there's a slightly oversized one approved by Univair, also). Don't put the spinner on until the prop install is inspected.

Get your A&P to inspect/sign off. Put on the spinner. Go fly!

• Dennis Tar
  • Topic Author
23 Oct 2019 16:22 #4 by Dennis Tar
Nose bowl & Prop removal (DIY?) was created by Dennis Tar
I am replacing my breather tube outlet (C85) and find to get access at the block I will need to remove the nose bowl which then requires removing the prop? Has anyone done this by themselves & any advice to pass along?
Thanks, Dennis

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds