Breadcrumbs

Carb heat

More
26 Feb 2020 15:27 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Carb heat
The original Ercoupe was delivered with automatic carb heat - it was tied to the throttle, and when the RPM dropped below 2000 carb heat came on automatically. My plane had that attached when I bought it, but I removed it, because I didn't like the idea of taxiing with unfiltered air going into the engine. Apparently Fred Weick had had an unpleasant experience with carb icing and tried to make it automatic. But I'm sure the dirtiest air you can get comes in while taxiing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2020 13:03 #2 by Robert Regester
Replied by Robert Regester on topic Carb heat
Had my Ercoupe ferried to the airport I will take my refresher hours at and the pilot had to use carb heat on the way over due to icing. The engine sputtered and the carb heat smoothed it out.

• Henry Pasquet
25 Nov 2019 18:40 #3 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Carb heat
Using a digital tach, I have noticed on my Alon and Cessna 150 that i need to keep the carb heat on during run up at least 30 seconds. The RPM will gain up to 50 more than the initial setting. If I don't, I do not get full power on the first take off of the day. A standard tach may not show any difference, but it is noticeable on the rate of climb.

More
24 Nov 2019 20:14 #4 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Carb heat
For me:
1. Below 70 degrees
2. High humidity
3. Below 1900 rpm
I always use heat for landing, even in dead of Florida summer. I have had carb ice on climb out on a warm humid day.

• Lawson Laslo
  • Topic Author
24 Nov 2019 19:10 #5 by Lawson Laslo
Carb heat was created by Lawson Laslo
When do you use carb heat in your Ercoupe?
We currently use it during landing but have heard that it may not be necessary?
At what times do you need carb heat?
The Ercoupe has the O200

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds