Breadcrumbs

header tank leak

More
21 Apr 2024 13:47 #7 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic header tank leak
If you can pressurize the tank with a low pressure (I use a balloon as a pressure regulator), then use soapy water to identify exactly where the leak is at. Then, if you can get a small low pressure (vacuum) in the tank (not too much, don't collapse the tank), you could maybe paint a sealant over the leaky seam and suck it back into the leak to seal it. Just a thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2024 11:41 #8 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic header tank leak
Forgot to mention- if your tank is riveted, then the Univair tank won’t fit. It’s a welded aluminum tank, 6 gallons. Riveted tanks are 5 gallon. The filler is in a different place too.

More
21 Apr 2024 11:37 #9 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic header tank leak
You are certainly asking for BAD advice!
You can slosh your tank and it will last until it doesn’t any more and you’ll find yourself trying to handle a glider with a 5:1 glide ratio.
I don’t see how can really do any fix on it without taking it out and putting it back in, which is a big chunk of the cost.
IMHO sloshing it will put off the inevitable but I would be nervous about how it will fail when it fails. You are putting something in your fuel tank that is not fuel!
I guess when I’m nearly a mile above terra firma I don’t want to take unnecessary chances. It’s different in your car, when you can pull over when your fuel line clogs and the engine dies.
Sorry I’m a Debbie Downer but poorer is a lot better than deader!

More
21 Apr 2024 11:34 #10 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic header tank leak
Sorry - only good advice available here. ;-)

Depending on the nature of the leak, a product called ProSeal is FAA approved for fuel lank repairs. I recommend you investigate it. There are several "flavors" so pick the right one for you. It is NOT a sloshing compound - stay away from those. It's a paint on product.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2024 10:10 #11 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic header tank leak
I hope I'm not violating the rules of this website, but I'm writing to ask for BAD advice.  Let me explain:

Scroll down the posts to see the "Hardware Hank" repair some prior owner made to the header tank shutoff valve on my 415-C.  The valve is wet and the cockpit smells like gas.  Discoloration indicates the tank itself may be leaking.  

I spoke with my AP and several Ercoupe owners.  I received lots of GOOD advice.  Pull the tank ($1,500) and replace it with one from Univair ($2,800) or have it rebuilt by Safe Skies Aviation in Ohio ($2,000) or drill out all the rivets myself, then clean, patch, reassemble ($??).  Vern at Skyport does not have a servicable used one. 

Okay, that's the Right way to fix it but there goes all the money I set aside for the Annual in June and my insurance in November.  What's the Wrong way?  How about trying to extend the tank life with PRC sloshing sealer - anybody had success with that?  What other low-buck options are there? 

If you don't want to comment on this website for fear of looking like a cheakskate in front of others, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  I really appreciate ALL the advice I get from this group.  Thanks in advance.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
01 Apr 2024 15:30 #12 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic header tank leak
Ken, I found this on another website:

ercoupe.groups.io/g/Tech/topic/52666189?...0::,,,0,0,0,52666189

Does removing the header tank really involve that much work?  I'm amazed you found somebody to do it for so little money.  Who's your A/P?  I'd like to get a quote on mine. 

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds