Breadcrumbs

Pitot Static System

More
26 Jul 2020 13:22 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Pitot Static System
If you have a good static system in your plane it shouldn't matter if the canopy is open or not. But if your instruments are depending on cabin air pressure for static air, or if the static tubing from the pitot tube leaks, it can vary greatly when the canopy is open.
The following user(s) said Thank You: George Polos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2020 12:48 #2 by George Polos
Replied by George Polos on topic Pitot Static System
Larry,

I am a new 415-C owner and observed that my altimeter and airspeed indications differ from the pitot static system and the Dynon Pocket Panel GPS driven numbers. I suspect that I need to get my pitot static system tested for accuracy since I know that the pitot static numbers are what I need to use for aerodynamic calculation to prevent getting too slow or off altitude.

Are you saying in the post above from 2016 that if I fly with the canopy open the accuracy of the pitot static system will vary? How can this be corrected? Only by closing the canopy?

Thanks, George

• Chris Pirrmann
  • Topic Author
04 Dec 2016 19:10 #3 by Chris Pirrmann
Replied by Chris Pirrmann on topic Pitot Static System
I will double check that.

More
04 Dec 2016 18:26 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Pitot Static System
The static is taken on the pitot tube. It supplies both static and ram air to the cabin. If your static is open to the cockpit, when you open the canopy your speeds and altitude are all over the place wrong!

• Chris Pirrmann
  • Topic Author
04 Dec 2016 17:27 #5 by Chris Pirrmann
Pitot Static System was created by Chris Pirrmann
Does anyone have information on the static source for the airspeed indicator and altimeter? My plane has a common tube between the two and I am curious as to where it terminates. I presume it's in the cabin. Also, if the canopy is open, during flight, does that make a pressure difference that can cause the airspeed and altitude to indicate differently than with the canopy closed? I suspect mine might be off a bit, but I always fly with the canopy open.

Thanks, as usual.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds