Breadcrumbs

C-85 hesitation

• Keith Carden
  • Topic Author
12 Aug 2019 19:56 #1 by Keith Carden
Replied by Keith Carden on topic C-85 hesitation
After much delay, hangar remodel got in the way, the issue is resolved. There indeed was a carburetor issue, the carburetor on the C-85 was actually one that was intended for use on a C-90. Sending out the carburetor for proper jetting and yes indeed some cleaning resolved the hesitation issue. The carburetor was just installed this weekend and taxi testing proved it runs much smoother in transition from idle to full power. D&G Supply in Niles Michigan did the work on the carburetor and from what I can tell so far it is money well spent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Arthur
21 May 2019 13:19 #2 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic C-85 hesitation
No one could have said it better.

More
21 May 2019 12:42 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic C-85 hesitation
You right in suspecting the accelerator pump in your Stromberg - because it doesn’t have one!

Strombergs will stumble if you apply too much throttle from idle. The solution is simply to apply power slowly and smoothly.

More
21 May 2019 12:18 #4 by Steve Westlund
Replied by Steve Westlund on topic C-85 hesitation
My C-85 hesitates a little when I apply full throttle. I just Slide it forward smoothly and it responds acceptably. Spark plugs were cleaned at the annual inspection and don’t appear to be an issue. I suspect the accelerator pump on the Stromberg.

Keith, what did you find on your Ercoupe?

Steve

• Joey Shreve
17 Dec 2018 07:51 #5 by Joey Shreve
Replied by Joey Shreve on topic C-85 hesitation
Find out if he changed or cleaned and gaped the sparkplugs. I know on my last annual 3 or my plugs were marginal at best on the test bench, so I bought all new plugs. My C-85 runs better now than ever and it always (since I bought it) has had a slight vibration at cruise which is now gone.

• Keith Carden
  • Topic Author
16 Dec 2018 19:10 #6 by Keith Carden
C-85 hesitation was created by Keith Carden
Hello , I have a C-85 with Stomberg carb and am experiencing significant hesitation when transitioning from idle to full throttle. Regardless of the speed that the throttle is pushed forward, the engine will hesitate and nearly cut completely out at times. Once full throttle it seems to run fine but a sudden need for a go around could possibly pose a problem.

Prior to recent annual it did run fine, but I am new owner and do not have much experience with the plane yet. I feel as if it is something minor, the plane has been well taken care of, but none the less something that I need to get resolved before continuing my flight training in it.

Tomorrow I will be calling the mechanic that did the annual on it and see if he has any ideas but I thought I would throw this out on here to see if anyone had input.
thanks , Keith

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds