Breadcrumbs

Tail height spec tolerance?

More
07 May 2019 10:03 #1 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Tail height spec tolerance?
Ken, installed Alpha spacers during Annual with wings removed for corrosion check. Spacer install quick and very easy. Tail height went from 67" to 72" with one spacer to 77" with two spacers. Went with one spacer height even though sill not quite level. Calm day post-Annual check flight impression: 415C wants to stay on the ground until at least 60 mph. Used to be able to get it into ground effect easily at 55. Plane seemed to accelerate quicker (less aerodynamic drag?). Didn't have an opportunity to check cross-wind handling or if any change to take-off distance. I am on a non-flying vacation and look forward to further testing. Will tell results when I find out. -Bruce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 12:20 #2 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Tail height spec tolerance?
Bruce, how did these spacers work out for you?

More
28 Apr 2019 08:40 #3 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Tail height spec tolerance?
If you have good Belleville and a 4 inch nose wheel you should not need spacers. The spacers are for the larger nose wheels. The tail height can vary and what you want is a level window sill.

• Bob Thompson
  • Topic Author
28 Mar 2019 06:53 #4 by Bob Thompson
Replied by Bob Thompson on topic Tail height spec tolerance?
Thx for the note! So I was doing some more work under mine with my mechanic and noticed something that makes me feel a lot better...I have the 15gal wing tanks and when they were fabricated, the drains were moved aft and inboard to the absolute lowest last spot eliminating some of the water issues.

I also have those spacers but I had them installed on the Belleville springs type and one spacer raised the tail 6”! I had them taken off since the tail was too high and you almost couldn’t step up on the wing walks. I’m at 72” tail height with the stock 500-4 nosewheel.

More
27 Mar 2019 21:52 #5 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Tail height spec tolerance?
There is no spec tolerance that I am aware of other than what you are comfortable with. Consensus is higher is better. Full disclosure: have owned my Ercoupe for 13 years. Came with rudder height at 67". Always hangared. No water issues. Handles crosswinds better than a Cessna :-) New donuts didn't help height. Just bought spacers from Alpha Aviation. Will install soon. Am interested to see handling difference.

• Bob Thompson
  • Topic Author
25 Mar 2019 10:09 #6 by Bob Thompson
Tail height spec tolerance? was created by Bob Thompson
I have been assessing the tail height situation on my 415 C and I’m wondering what the allowable tolerance is? I know that it is to be set at 75 inches but I would have to assume that there is a plus or minus distance that also keeps it safe with regard to ground handling and water reaching the sumps.

If the tail height or 3 inches low for example is there any major problem with that?

Thx in advance

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds