Breadcrumbs

Bucket List - Land in all 48 Contiguous States in my Ercoupe

More
28 Feb 2024 18:10 - 28 Feb 2024 18:13 #7 by Randy Branson
Still trying to flight plan my trip. I’ve spent over 12 hours thus far and have routed to Boise, ID. The Rockies are tough to plan through.

I’ve had one offer to stay overnight in Louisiana. Several FBOs have said I can camp out in their facility. A couple absolutely refused an overnight stay indoors.

I hope to make this all happen but, I learned from an FBO Manager in Montana that my plan for early April may need rethinking because that’s typically when they get lots of snow. So, maybe May/June?  But then convective activity starts in the southern tier. Weather and the Rockies are my biggest fear that the trip may not work as planned. 
Last edit: 28 Feb 2024 18:13 by Randy Branson. Reason: Correct spelling and grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2023 15:58 #8 by Larry Snyder
That trip would be my dream but time and money kind of puts a cramp on it. My son and I are planning a trip to South Dakota next spring with fly-bys of Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument. We’re looking at adding some other stops to make it a two week trip.

More
12 Dec 2023 15:54 #9 by Randy Branson
Paying back the Capers would be the easiest of my concerns (LOL). Planning and then flying the trip will be much more difficult.

More
12 Dec 2023 15:44 #10 by Larry Snyder
Once you get a route figured out, maybe friendly Coupers along the way can have the oil change stuff on hand, saving you the space and weight. We can put a call out in the Coupe Capers for free lodging and transportation along the way. Of course, you’ll have to pay the Capers with a write up!!

More
12 Dec 2023 15:35 #11 by Randy Branson
Yes, me too. Oil change every 25 hours even though IA said that doing so isn't really necessary. But I still do. So, I'll have to have extra tools (safty wire pliers and wire) and even more oil. I thought about oil changes enroute, but until I know what my route and thus flying time would be, I don't know how many times I'll have to change oil and/or where.

More
12 Dec 2023 12:27 #12 by Larry Snyder
Get ‘er done now, Randy, you never know what surprise s the good Lord has for you!

Think about when and where you’ll change oil. I always change mine every 25 hours so if you are anywhere like me it could be an issue. Take a copy of the EOC membership roster (actually you can get it on the web site) in case you need some help or advice.

You might want to plan your stops based on the availability of lodging, transportation and mechanical services. For me it’s a balance between cheap gas at an unattended airport and the deluxe FBOs at the regionals. There are great but inexpensive airports. But you have to find them. I think the EOC might want to poll our members for advice on great FBOs.

It sounds like an adventure! My longest single trip was in 2017 when my son and I flew from my home base in Arkansas to Nashville, Boone, NC, Kitty Hawk, Manteo, NC, down the Outer Banks and back through South Carolina. It was 1700nm total. I’ll always remember that trip!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds