Breadcrumbs

Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw

More
22 Jan 2024 10:46 #7 by Harold Johnson
Replied by Harold Johnson on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
I printed out SM35 and 35A and my mechanics said they did them . I checked measurements as much as I could and found they were very close. I am going to the airport today to see if they can check the thrust line of the engine and make sure they checked the elevator cable tension properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2024 21:20 #8 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
AD 2012-08-06 paragraph (g)(9) requires reference to Service Memorandum 35 and 35A and should be done each 12 months or 100 hours. SM 35 has the instructions for the rigging of the controls and nose wheel and is available online.

More
21 Jan 2024 16:10 #9 by David Gilson
Replied by David Gilson on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
I just went on looking for info to adjust the nose wheel so it tracks straight with the yoke and saw you mentioned you just completed that. Could I get some info on how you did that. This may be involved so if you prefer please call me 727-439-9916. Unfortunately I still work for a living so late afternoon is best. I'm in florida so I have eastern time zone.
Thanks

More
20 Jan 2024 21:24 #10 by Harold Johnson
Replied by Harold Johnson on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
Engine mount, I never thought about that. Makes sense though, it doesn't want to stay on the ground above 60, and then it leaps into the air.

More
20 Jan 2024 20:48 - 20 Jan 2024 20:51 #11 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
If pitch is the main issue you might want to confirm the weight and balance information, an aft CG is more sensitive to pitch.  Another thing could be if you're comparing it to other types.  I know my Alon seems fairly squirrelly in the yaw axis (with rudder pedals) compared to pitch and roll.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2024 20:51 by John Jones.

More
20 Jan 2024 14:14 #12 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Ercoupe project flies unstable in pitch and yaw
If you did all the ADs then you don’t have excess play in the ailerons, but you should definitely replace all the moving parts and check the push/pull tubes carefully for corrosion, as they rust from the inside out and you won’t see it on the outside until it’s about to disintegrate.

As for pitch control, I’m assuming you set the elevator control cables to the correct tension, which is much higher than most airplanes.

You might want to check the engine mount to make sure it has the correct offset angles.

Good luck!

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds