Breadcrumbs

Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot

More
05 Sep 2018 16:22 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
You can do anything to your airplane that any Private Pilot can do - change oil, tires, brakes, etc., even if you don't have a current medical. Why would you need a medical to change oil? I believe the rules refer to "holder of a certificate". You will always hold your PP certificate. It's just exercising the flying privileges that require the medical.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2018 16:16 #2 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
Whoa... this could be a game changer for me... When my 3rd Class medical expires in December, I'm thinking I'll just exercise my privileges as a Sport Pilot.(My 415-C is LSA.) Will that throw me into the category of not being able to do any, even minor, maintenance on my Coupe. Or, since I do hold a PPL, will that not be an issue?

I don't expect any problems with getting BasicMed but, why bother if I never plan to fly anything but my own Ercoupe?

More
24 Jun 2018 20:09 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
Whether or not you have a current medical, you hold the private pilot certificate. You can perform the allowable maintenance and log it. If you hold a lower certificate (sport pilot) you may not perform any maintenance on a certificated aircraft. Even adding oil is not allowed, technically.

• Donald Hudson
24 Jun 2018 19:12 #4 by Donald Hudson
Replied by Donald Hudson on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
I am a private pilot with no medical. Can I sign off on minor maintenance on my 415C?

• Thomas Rinehart
  • Topic Author
20 Dec 2017 19:07 #5 by Thomas Rinehart
Replied by Thomas Rinehart on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
Thanks, that was my understanding also, just wanted to confirm.

• Joey Shreve
20 Dec 2017 12:52 #6 by Joey Shreve
Replied by Joey Shreve on topic Flying Ercoupe 415-C as Sport Pilot
As a sport pilot you can not sign the log books for routine maintenance on any Certificated aircraft, but you can have any Private Pilot watch your work and sign the log book. Just make sure they input their Cert# when they sign.

If this were an LSA then yes you could sign. Got to love how the rules are written.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds