Breadcrumbs

Compromised spar lip

More
31 Mar 2023 21:36 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Compromised spar lip
Please send me his name and Phone! Warren Hampton!! # 760-224-2065

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
22 Mar 2023 18:10 #2 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Compromised spar lip
Done. Thanks.

More
22 Mar 2023 17:47 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Compromised spar lip
Email to webmaster (at) ercoupe (dot) org

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
22 Mar 2023 17:43 #4 by Chris Carlisle
Larry...I'm not sure how to do that. Can you help?

More
22 Mar 2023 16:38 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Compromised spar lip
Please send the document to the webmaster for inclusion in our files are. This could be a lifesaver for someone else with the problem! Thanks for updating us!

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
22 Mar 2023 16:23 #6 by Chris Carlisle
Well, it's been a long time coming but I think my issue is close to resolution.  It has taken this long to accomplish and I hope by sharing it here, others might be spared the bureaucracy I went through.  I won't review the problem which is included early on in this thread except to say it involves a structural issue with the spar that could have grounded my plane forever.

The DER I found lives 200 miles from me in Minneapolis.  He is recently retired after working for Airbus in Wichita.  He commuted between MSP and ICT for many years and flew to my location in South Dakota to see the problem first hand, take pics, and otherwise gain insight.  After doing so, he came up with a very professionally prepared document including pictures and engineering data such that he is now able to complete an FAA form 8110-3 approving major structural field repair and making it possible for my A&P to legally do an annual inspection.  The repair is simple and can probably be done with no more than 3 man-hours of work and readily available materials and tools.  Unfortunately, the .pdf document is too big to include in this forum (limit 1 MB) and I can't show you guys but it is both professionally done and not overly complicated.  If someone wants to see it, just email me and I'll be happy to send it that way. 

Also, I asked him if he'd mind my giving out his name and contact info in case others might need his services and he said that was no problem.  By his own admission, he finds this kind of work interesting and a good way to fill time in retirement.  Additionally, he says he has an interest in not gouging people with over-priced fees and wants to see antique planes such as ours stay in the air rather than relegated to museums.  He seems genuinely interested without being pretentious.  I am happy to include him as a friend. 

I haven't gotten the bill yet but he assures me that even after having to recruit a friend of his to do the structural analysis math, it won't be over $1000 which I consider a bargain given the complexity, overcoming the bureaucracy, and what's a stake. 

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds