Breadcrumbs

Wandering Steering - 415D

More
08 Feb 2022 13:19 #1 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
Same "problem" here with my 415.  My A&P/IA centered everything up, tightened/adjusted the chain, lubed.  It's better but still wants to wander off of center.  Tires are good and nosewheel is straight with yokes level.  I just live with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2021 13:53 #2 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
So many coupes have had the motor mount tweaked and that can slightly tweak the fire wall mounts. A good sign of this is found on the lower fire wall panel. bent, sign like over -size rivets, patches, denting, waves. Vern and I were talking about motor mounts one day." If I sell a motor mount. I have to try it on a fire wall that I know has not bent." Tweak mount can be hard to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Nichols

More
19 Dec 2021 11:53 #3 by John Nichols
Replied by John Nichols on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
thanks. will let you know what I hear.

More
17 Dec 2021 18:45 #4 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
Looking at and replacing that chain is a good idea for all of us. it controsl our life. Adjustment is key to all the controls. Set control wheel level walk out front 10 paces and look at all wheels (OFF THE NOSE!) how are the tires wearing Has the motor mount been bent a bit, Have the control heim fitting ever been greased ?, they can wear or be dry and stick.

More
01 Dec 2021 20:33 #5 by Edward Taylor
Replied by Edward Taylor on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
Just a suggestion, have you checked the tension on chains under header tank for excess slack? Also the bushings on column for lubrication and wear under header tank?
Things I found on mine.

Ed

More
30 Nov 2021 06:53 #6 by William James
Replied by William James on topic Wandering Steering - 415D
John I have the same problem . Since I bought the plane 6 years ago the steering has been very hard . Turning right requires significant strength and on take-off it requires some extra effort to maintain centerline (nothing safety wise ). I also have had most of the nose gear replaced and completely taken apart . . . no change . Since it does not create a significant problem and the shop says there is no safety problem , I am just living with it
If you stumble on a fix please let me know , I the same
Mine is a 415 - C

Regards

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Nichols, Randy Branson

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds