Breadcrumbs

M-10 Wheel Pants

More
01 Oct 2017 18:13 #1 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic M-10 Wheel Pants
Mine tracks fine but it looks like it has too much camber. The inside edges of both tires wear more than the outside. There does not appear to be an adjustment for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2017 10:07 #2 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic M-10 Wheel Pants
Tapped shims- Have not looked of late but Aircraft Spruce had them. In the auto trade we could hammer the leaf spring if one become a bit bent. Tire wear if uneven, 44F would eat up the left tire in side. Get 50 or 60 foot away you could see the tires were not tracking the same.

More
29 Sep 2017 18:55 #3 by Gordie Meade
Wow, I had never heard about doing an alignment on the spring gear. How would you go about doing that as it is not mentioned in the POH or service manual, at least as far as I have seen? This forum may teach me a LOT.

More
29 Sep 2017 18:47 - 29 Sep 2017 19:08 #4 by Gordie Meade
I have removed quite a bit of weight with the removal of the old starter, vacuum pump, and generator with related parts (and cleaning all the crap out of the wings). I would hope that a set of glass wheel pants and hardware would not increase my gross weight much past what it was before. Before I actually did anything, I would do a new weight and balance and make sure I did not go more than 8-10 pounds past where I started. While getting this airplane inspected and ready to fly, I took about three pounds of sand out of the tail. In Florida in the summer, It will take off at the correct speed but will only climb at 500 fpm. In the winter, I get closer to 800 fpm. Closing and latching the canopy helps improve that but, in the summer with the canopy latched, it gets REALLY hot in there so I usually either latch one side or neither.
Right now it's a moot point as I cannot find any wheel pants anyway. The idea was to add about 2-4 mph in cruise (and make it look cool).
Gordie
Last edit: 29 Sep 2017 19:08 by Gordie Meade.

• Scott Engelhart
29 Sep 2017 18:04 #5 by Scott Engelhart
Replied by Scott Engelhart on topic M-10 Wheel Pants
I too have considered wheel pants for my 1970 M10, serial #33 for the appearance and aerodynamic cleanliness. I have hesitated though at chipping away at my useful load by adding any weight. What are your thoughts on this?

• Jack Arthur
28 Sep 2017 08:07 #6 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic M-10 Wheel Pants
Thanks for the information, I have lots of experience with other coupe gear but not the spring steel.

Thanks again.
Jack

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds