Breadcrumbs

New Side Windows

More
30 Aug 2021 20:08 #1 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic New Side Windows
That’s 9:00 EASTERN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2021 11:51 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic New Side Windows
gives the screw driver more grip, helps prevent it from slipping

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

More
21 Aug 2021 18:32 #3 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic New Side Windows
Thanks Matt. What does the valve grinding compound do? I understand I put it on the head of the screw? I also may try penetrating oil. Then cut a slot. I’ll try about anything at this point.

More
21 Aug 2021 13:36 #4 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic New Side Windows
a trick for stuck screws is to get some valve grinding compound and put some on the tip of your screwdriver. The next option is to cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screwdriver with valve grinding compound, last option is to drill it out.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

More
21 Aug 2021 06:06 - 21 Aug 2021 06:08 #5 by Randy Branson
Ok y'all, I'm stuck!  The new "Factory Spec'd" PMA windows from Univair won't slide in my old welts and seem to bottom out 8-9 inches above the side rail.  Vernon thinks my old welts are the problem.  So, I decided to go ahead and do a welt replacement (I was waiting until it got cooler in the hangar to do this).  I've got new welts from Vernon and started tearing out the interior of my bird.  I can't get the large screw holding the top of the seat back to budge without stripping the Phillips head, so decided I'll deal with it and do it the hard way, with the seat back in.  Then the real problem!  The trim cable runs along the top of the left side inner fuselage panel and is integral to the panel.  Therefore, I can't remove the panel without somehow removing the trim cable and housing.

I'm stuck and need help!!
Last edit: 21 Aug 2021 06:08 by Randy Branson. Reason: added clarification

More
18 Aug 2021 13:51 #6 by Randy Branson
I've been waiting for a month for my mechanic to be available to help me build up the new windows. No time in his schedule anywhere in the near future. So, I bought a built-up set from Univair and got them in the other day. I was excited to take them out to the plane, install them, and go for a flight. Oh no.... They are so tight that sliding the passenger side one in took a lot of effort, and forget trying to raise it unless I was standing on the left wing reaching across and pulling with all my might. Also, the stiffeners at the bottom are evidently too wide because the window will not completely lower into the side panel. About 8 inches sticks up above the side rail. I tried, but could not even coax the left (pilot) side window into the tracks. Granted, I need new welts, but this was a total bust. ($1176).

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds