Breadcrumbs

Spark Plugs

More
05 Oct 2021 13:04 - 05 Oct 2021 13:07 #1 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Spark Plugs
Okay, got the plugs pulled, cleaned, gapped, rotated and reinstalled. I used the plug cleaner (media blaster) that Aircraft Spruce sells to clean my plugs.  It did a pretty nice job.  I used my compressor air nozzle to blow out the interior of the plugs.  All looked great!

Got the plugs reinstalled (quite happy with myself and much easier than my ole Beech Sundowner) and then cranked it up.  Ran really smooth, so I took it to the run-up pad and did a Mag check.  HORRIBLE!!!!  My left mag dropped something over 200 RPM.  I'm used to it dropping 75-100 and having to clear the fouling after setting up for a week or so due to oil build up...but 200+  on clean plugs?  ARRGGG!.  Taxied it back and wondered what I'd done wrong.  

I talked with my A&P...of course he said pull the plugs and I'll check them ($$$ ???).  I asked what was the possibility that I was grounding out a bottom plug because of maybe getting anti-seize on the electrode.  Maybe!  "Pull the plugs and clean them off again and then try it.  If it is still a large drop bring me the plugs and I'll check them out when I can".  

I pulled the plugs and wiped the threads with 100LL (generic cleaner) and low and behold...I saw that one electrode on one plug had a piece of either the blasting media or carbon bridging the gap from outer to center electrodes.  I cleaned it out and then reinstalled the lower four.  Took her (Ermelia) to the run-up pad and Viola!  25 RPM drop on Left Mag.  Thank goodness!  Now I feel good.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2021 13:07 by Randy Branson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2021 07:39 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Spark Plugs
Champion has been around longer, Tempest is a newby, but both have to pass the same tests, I have seen them intermixed on a engine and could not tell the difference.
One way to tell the difference in your plugs without pulling one is if it takes a 7/8 wrench to remove the lead, it is a 3/4 in plug.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
14 Sep 2021 16:47 #3 by Randy Branson
Can anyone tell me the functional difference between Tempest and Champion spark plugs.  I don't me the technical differences, I mean is the Champion really worth $13 more than the Tempest?  Does it last longer, perform better, etc?

Thanks

More
11 Aug 2021 07:09 #4 by Randy Branson
Thanks Lawson! I appreciate the help. I sort of feel like a neophyte since I realized that all I have to do is go to the Tempest or Champion application charts and find my engine. DUH!! Now, just to figure out if they are 3/4 or 5/8. I guess I'll pull one and see if I can tell by some sort of number on it.

Happy Flying! (I wish I had your 0-200 instead of the C85)

Randy

• Lawson Laslo
10 Aug 2021 21:06 #5 by Lawson Laslo
Replied by Lawson Laslo on topic Spark Plugs
tempest plugs are UREM40E

More
09 Aug 2021 19:03 #6 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Spark Plugs
Try here.
good info here
www.cessnaflyer.org/maintenance-tech/ite...ive-maintenance.html

more info, GAPS are lettered see box with gaps/A,B,C,D,E,F
csobeech.com/files/TCM-SparkPlugRotation-SIL03-2B.pdf

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds