Breadcrumbs

Oil Pressure Drop to 0

More
22 Nov 2022 09:12 - 22 Nov 2022 09:27 #1 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Oil Pressure Drop to 0
We (my AP, My IA, me) can't explain why, but we replaced the oil pressure gauge with a new one (thank you Vernon Gregory) and the oil pressure seems fine now.  We bench tested the removed gauge and it checks fine.  A gremlin loose in the oil is all I can figure.  Nonetheless, new Real Gaskets push rod tubes (STC), 3 brand new cylinders (one was only a year or so old so it stayed), new oil pressure spring and plunger, new oil pressure gauge and lots of burnt oil (before we replaced the cylinders) and now I'm back up and flying.  I had one foot fully into the money pit/pandora's box/financial black hole/whatever, but now maybe only a couple of toes in since now I only have a small leak where the alternator attaches to the accessory case.  She (Ermelia) now flies like a new lady.  I was told by another 'Couper that I need to write a "Coupe Capers" article about how a simple, inexpensive STC can turn into big bucks quickly (oh, don't get me started on the STC to move the master switch to the dash).

Happy flying everyone!  Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.
Last edit: 22 Nov 2022 09:27 by Randy Branson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2022 21:28 - 30 Oct 2022 21:32 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Oil Pressure Drop to 0
it will stay at the site you are work, just carefully wipe it up, if some gets in the oil, it is such a small amount, it would not hurt anything.  
Have you tried flushing the oil system ? remove the oil pressure fitting and crank the engine and let the oil flush out the galleys. maybe a piece of debris is blocking the oil pressure fitting. 

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
Last edit: 30 Oct 2022 21:32 by Matt Gunsch.

More
28 Oct 2022 14:12 #3 by Randy Branson
We talked about using the plunger as the lapping tool. How do you keep the lapping compound out of your system (case) after lapping?

More
28 Oct 2022 14:08 #4 by Ken Thompson
Replied by Ken Thompson on topic Oil Pressure Drop to 0
Anything new, Randy?

More
12 Oct 2022 13:30 #5 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Oil Pressure Drop to 0
use your oil pressure plunger as the lapping tool, I have the real gasket tubes on my Coupe, I am wondering if a push rod is not seated into the tappet body, It seems it all started after you did the tubes, so go back to what you did before it started loosing pressure.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
12 Oct 2022 07:48 #6 by Randy Branson
Thanks Matt.  We have tried to find the lapping tool...88 degree face according to Continental.  No luck.  Apparently, it was once made by Sun Tools when they were part of Snap-On.  But once they parted, it's no longer made.  We have discussed hand lapping, but have not got done that yet, that's the next option since there is nothing else left.

Yes, I understand the push rod tubes are returns only.  And no, there is absolutely no leaking so I'm sure they are properly seated.  The STC'd kit from Real Gaskets Tennessee are awesome!  When you release the spring, you can tell they are seated and the gaskets are in place.  

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds