Breadcrumbs

Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights

More
11 Jul 2024 13:34 #7 by Patric Wilson
Replied by Patric Wilson on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
According to FAR 91.205 (c) Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.

(2) Approved position lights.

(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made.

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.

(5) An adequate source of electrical energy for all installed electrical and radio equipment.

(6) One spare set of fuses, or three spare fuses of each kind required, that are accessible to the pilot in flight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2024 12:04 #8 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
I would submit that anti-collision lights are not required for night flight if they are not already installed per FAR 91.209 paragraph (b).  Paragraph (a) (1) requires lighted position lights which should already be installed.

§ 91.209   Aircraft  lights.No  person  may:(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)—(1) Operate an  aircraft  unless it has lighted position lights;(2) Park or move an  aircraft  in, or in dangerous proximity to, a   night  flight operations area of an  airport  unless the aircraft—(i) Is clearly illuminated;(ii) Has lighted position lights; or(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;(3) Anchor an  aircraft  unless the aircraft—(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or(b) Operate an  aircraft  that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

More
11 Jul 2024 10:29 #9 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights
I’m no expert, but it seems to a PMA’d belly beacon and the OE Grimes position lights should be legal. Because Ercoupes predate the FAA. The requirements are very basic. I remember
Looking it up years ago. I did my night flying
With a Grimes rotating beacon in the belly and some sort of wingtip position lights and a tail beacon. You do not have to have strobes.

More
11 Jul 2024 10:24 - 11 Jul 2024 10:25 #10 by Patric Wilson
Ercoupe 415-E 1948 anti-collision lights was created by Patric Wilson
I need to find some legal and possible way to install anti-collision lights for night flight. I don’t have a spot for a beacon, and the mechanic tells me it is practically impossible to swap wing nav lights with nav/strobe lights because I have two point attachments and not a three point. He says it would need field approval but that they won’t approve this sort of thing. If this isn’t possible I’ll need to rent a plane from somewhere who will allow me to fly at night to complete commercial part 61 requirements.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2024 10:25 by Patric Wilson.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds