Breadcrumbs

How to Fly by Mount Rushmore

More
02 Sep 2023 17:25 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic How to Fly by Mount Rushmore
Well, we never went to South Dakota but we did take a quickie trip to Huntsville, Alabama, to visit the Space and Rocket Center. I recommend that museum. We thoroughly enjoyed it and they have a planetarium that's really cool.

So Mount Rushmore is still on my to-do list! Top of my list now is New England, Mount Rushmore, Freriscksburg, Texas, and Denver to go the Casa Bonita! I've been there a couple of times and who can resist cliff dwellers, gorillas, and balloon-making fairies? The food there was bad but it didn't matter. Now the food is apparently much better. What fun!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2023 18:33 #2 by Larry Snyder
I will do what Approach tells me. It’s not a big deal to go around, but since the chart informs me I need to be 2000 above the monuments, I’d be there anyway. If Approach lets me get lower, I guess they’d be the ones to enforce the rule. And remember, it says “pilots are requested”. No FAR prohibits it.

More
27 Jun 2023 18:20 #3 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic How to Fly by Mount Rushmore
that is some high terrain so earlier is better. Are you going to go around or over the wilderness area ?

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
27 Jun 2023 17:32 - 27 Jun 2023 17:33 #4 by Larry Snyder
I’ll skip the arm flapping. My plan is to take off from Hot Springs, SD, at 7 am and climb to 7700 feet on the half hour flight to the monument. I will contact Ellsworth Approach and see if they can guide me closer. The helicopter tours don’t start until 9 am so there’s time to get to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse before they start. I’ll just do what Ellsworth tells me. Hopefully they can let me sneak in a little closer.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2023 17:33 by Larry Snyder.

More
27 Jun 2023 17:16 #5 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic How to Fly by Mount Rushmore
here is how you can fly by Rushmore, as you pass, have both windows open and flap your arms while saying I'm a bird, but most would be satisfied just looking at it as they fly past it. As far as getting there first.it looks like if you stay at 7700 ft and 1/2 mile to the side you should be ok, It looks like some high terrain, I would go very early.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2023 16:12 #6 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic How to Fly by Mount Rushmore
That sounds like something I would like to do... no, it is something I would like to do... good luck

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds