Breadcrumbs

Wing Rib Stitching/Lacing Broken - Repair Lacing or Completely Recover?

More
01 Sep 2022 18:15 #1 by Steve DeBrosse
Thank you Larry. My IA insists that no screws are present on my wing and that the rib stitches are the only thing holding the fabric tight. I wonder if the fabric replacement was done incorrectly, and IA's unfamiliar with Ercoupes kept signing off annuals for decades until enough of the stitches have failed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2022 18:10 #2 by Larry Snyder
Ercoupe wings aren’t stitched to the ribs, screws are used. Hopefully someone who has actually covered Ercoupe wings will reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve DeBrosse

More
01 Sep 2022 18:03 #3 by Steve DeBrosse
I have a 1947 415-CD with wings covered in Stitts Poly-Fiber, redone in the late 1980s. Upon my recent annual the IA found numerous rib laces broken and declared the wings unairworthy. (Picture attached, he sent me pics of several other ribs in similar condition lacing-wise.) 

Is it worth trying to have the rib laces redone (there's a heavy coating of poly on the wings so I'm not sure how easy it would be to pull the existing tape), or am I looking at a complete re-covering of the wings?

I've already priced Oratex 6000, though I don't know if I can find anyone in OH to install it. The US distributor did provide a copy of the STC AML showing that it is approved for the Ercoupe.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds