Breadcrumbs

Fuselage Tank Cork Failure

More
26 Sep 2022 15:42 #1 by Tim Cowden
Replied by Tim Cowden on topic Fuselage Tank Cork Failure
I did what Larry suggested, laid the cork on a cinder block in the sunshine for two days to dry it out, then bought a $10 can of plyurethane and brushed it on. I test flew it this morning and it works great. Another victory for our Forum. Thanks again Larry!

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2022 13:56 #2 by Tim Cowden
Replied by Tim Cowden on topic Fuselage Tank Cork Failure
Thanks Larry!

More
19 Sep 2022 09:49 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuselage Tank Cork Failure
Not an unusual event. Some folks dry out the cork in an oven and put a new coat of polyurethane on it. Some buy a new, improved gauge fro Skyport (Vernon Gregory). I put a new Rain Pruf gauge on my Ercoupe about 14 years ago and it has worked fine ever since. When you order a Rain Pruf gauge get a couple of extra red caps and base gaskets. Those plastic caps split over time and allow fuel to bubble up into the glass tube.

More
19 Sep 2022 09:08 #4 by Tim Cowden
Fuselage Tank Cork Failure was created by Tim Cowden
Yesterday I flew my 415 C, planning a 1.5 hr flight.  I had about 4 gallons in each wing tank and a full fuselage tank. As I took off I noticed the fuselage indicator rod in the glass tube was about 2 inches below full, the first time I've ever seen it less than full since I always keep a full fuselage tank.  As my flight continued I saw it steadily coming down the glass tube.  By the time I was about 30 minutes into my flight I decided to turn back, thinking that my fuel pump may have died leaving me with only the fuselage tank fuel.  The top of the indicator rod was at the bottom of the tube as I entered the traffic pattern.  I made an uneventful landing.  After pulling up to my hangar I set the parking brake and instructed my passenger to keep his foot on the brake pedal as I stood up, unscrewed the fuselage tank cap and peered inside..  The tank was full.  I examined the cork and found it to be extremely hard and I'm now thinking that it might somehow have become heavier and less porous over time and is now sinking to the bottom of the tank.

Please weigh in with your thoughts guys.  Thanks,

Tim

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds