Breadcrumbs

What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?

More
25 May 2024 10:24 #1 by Edward Woerle
Replied by Edward Woerle on topic What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?
Central Airlines flew DC-3s and Convair 600s in the fifties and sixties out of Fort Worth (FTW), an airport that is now part of Dallas (KDFW). The FW in DFW signifies Ft. Worth, They had a beautiful Art Deco terminal. The flight from FTW to DFW (no "K' in those days) would be so quick they wouldn't bother to retract the gear. They were bought out by the original Frontier Airlines.

In my 64 years as mechanic I have had the opportunity to work on every DC airplane except the DC-1 (only one built) and the DC-5 (they built 12, three went to the navy, four to the Marines, and four went overseas). That included to MD-10, which was a DC-10 updated to MD-11 specs by FedEx. So, I guess my favorite airplane was made by Douglas or McDonnel/Douglas. Interesting side-note: The prototype went on to be the personal transport of Wm. Boeing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2024 07:13 #2 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?
Agreed, probably THE most iconic and graceful aircraft ever. They most definitely knew how to build 'em back in the 40's!

More
25 May 2024 07:04 #3 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?
You probably mean Pease Air Force base in Portsmouth on the border with the Maine-iacs off of I95. Can tell just a wee bit! Boxcars are a smidge old-ish... ;) Loved the Boxcar and the Fairchild C-82 Packet in the Jimmy Stewart movie Flight of the Phoenix! Quite the 40's/50's pair of oddballs! You were flying in the era I wished I could have flown!

More
24 May 2024 23:02 #4 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?
Mac, what is was the AF base north of Boston in NH ? In CAP we flew out of Westover AF base to that base in a C119 flying Boxcar.. can you tell how old I am now????

More
24 May 2024 22:52 #5 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic What’s your favorite defunct airline and aircraft?
The last time I flew into St Lou was on a TWA before they shut down That was the most unearthly turn around ever!!! When I was a little guy in Dayton< Oh. dad's friend flew Connies for TWA still love the lines what a Beautyful bird they are.

More
13 May 2024 16:10 #6 by William McCormick
You've got some great memories Larry thank you for sharing them!

For me it was the Boeing 727 in Braniff livery and Boeing 747 in Japan Airlines (JAL) livery, loved the orange Braniff one the best. Stood out! I have flown on a Douglas DC-6 back when I was a teen, was a night flight and that rocked! (I pretended we were in a B-17 on a mission during the flight) and when I was in C.A.P. I did get to go up in a Ford Trimotor and a Huey UH-1.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds