Breadcrumbs

Manuals

More
02 Jun 2024 10:51 #1 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Manuals
Keith,
you can wish all you want for type specific manuals, but there are none, nor did the FAA require them at the time. Welcome to the world of Classic Aircraft. as far as the question on skin panels and such, we are lucky in that the factory drawings have survived and most are on line. how ever the metal specs have changed and we no longer use 24st, so there is substitution required. Alons were only in production for a very short time, and with all the changes they introduced, it would be nice if all were covered in the manuals. I have looked thru the Archive in Bowling Green and there a number of Alon drawings, it just takes someone to pay for the scanning.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2024 17:39 #2 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Manuals

"Just call Vernon Gregory" doesn't cut it when I'm trying to make an FAA337 that is complete and legal. When I was teaching paperwork I would tell students that we use the three 'tell-ums'...Tell um what you did, tell um what you did it with and tell um how you did it. ALL log entries and 337s should specifically identify parts used for a repair. Where do I find the actual part number, either to order it or reference it in the paperwork? I realize that most parts will be the same as Forney, but there are also Alon specific parts (canopy, instrument panel, seats, fuselage skins, etc) that aren't found in those Ercoupe or Forney IPCs. Where do I go for them?

You are correct if we were performing a major/minor alteration requiring field approval.

from another post:

A copy of the Alon parts manual is in the files section of the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook. Alon didn't provide actual diagrams for many of the assemblies so it's necessary to refer back to the Forney and Ercoupe manual for diagrams although the index numbers for the individual parts are different

​​​​​​Technically that would be like using the B747-100 IPC to order and install a part on a B747-400.   If we were Delta Airlines, we could pull up the blueprints and find parts not listed in the IPC.

I spent 25 years as an A&P and I know exactly what the rules are.  I’m happy to get the right part that I need when I pick up the phone.  337’s may require the documentation you listed.   However not necessarily.   I have a copy of an approved 337 that uses a couple of automotive donuts to support the exhaust pipe.

Kinda like what do you do when the particular lubricant specified by the Alon service manual hasn’t been available for decades?  Do you get a 337? Or do you use your due diligence and substitute a product that exceeds the specifications of the discontinued product? 

More
26 May 2024 13:05 #3 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Manuals
A copy of the Alon parts manual is in the files section of the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook. Alon didn't provide actual diagrams for many of the assemblies so it's necessary to refer back to the Forney and Ercoupe manual for diagrams although the index numbers for the individual parts are different. It's frustrating, good luck.

More
25 May 2024 11:44 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Manuals
One great source of Alon information is Lynn Nelsen in Frostproof, Florida. He should be able to tell you where part numbers are found. He’s restored some Alons. +1 (863) 241-1988

More
25 May 2024 09:59 #5 by Edward Woerle
Replied by Edward Woerle on topic Manuals
"Just call Vernon Gregory" doesn't cut it when I'm trying to make an FAA337 that is complete and legal. When I was teaching paperwork I would tell students that we use the three 'tell-ums'...Tell um what you did, tell um what you did it with and tell um how you did it. ALL log entries and 337s should specifically identify parts used for a repair. Where do I find the actual part number, either to order it or reference it in the paperwork? I realize that most parts will be the same as Forney, but there are also Alon specific parts (canopy, instrument panel, seats, fuselage skins, etc) that aren't found in those Ercoupe or Forney IPCs. Where do I go for them?

More
24 May 2024 23:12 #6 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Manuals
You are right. I still use both Ercoupe and Forney's books The Alon is so much like the other than the glass over your head. I've not looked at M10 books

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds