Breadcrumbs

Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision.

• Jeffery Francom
  • Topic Author
15 Apr 2021 17:16 #1 by Jeffery Francom
Replied by Jeffery Francom on topic Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision.
Yeah, that seems sound... Hopefully no age-related problems for the plane OR the pilot! ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2021 14:02 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision.
the biggest thing is to have it looked at by someone who knows coupes and knows older planes and what to look for as far as corrosion and age related problems ( the plane's age, not the pilots)

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeffery Francom

• Jeffery Francom
  • Topic Author
14 Apr 2021 09:53 #3 by Jeffery Francom
Replied by Jeffery Francom on topic Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision.
Hey Matt,

It sounds like you really followed through with "The Dream." I wish I had done that before, but it's not too late!

I will check the list for an A&P that I could maybe have look at these planes. Really, I just want a good honest little plane that won't break the bank! My big fear is getting the plane and then finding out that it has some serious issues.

Thanks for the response and let me know if you have any thoughts of the 415-c VS Mooney Cadet thing. Any major re flags to look for with either?

All the Best.
Jeffery
South-east Idaho

More
13 Apr 2021 23:30 #4 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision.
You sound a lot like me. I started by building models, and would ride my bike to the local airport, about 8 miles each way. I started working with the CAF on the B-17 Sentimental Journey and met several members who would affect the rest of my life. Because of them I have a A&P, IA and Pilots license. I always liked the Ercoupe and had worked on several, but never flown one until I bought mine. I did 1 circuit in the right seat, 3 touch and goes from the left and then headed home 1300 miles away, all on the same day. The only way I was able to afford my coupe was taking a loan from my 401k,
There are a number of A&Ps around the country that know the Coupes, they are listed in the back of Coupe Capers. I am in Phx, AZ, so a little far from you.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

• Jeffery Francom
  • Topic Author
13 Apr 2021 09:18 #5 by Jeffery Francom
Introduction & Ercoupe 415-c vs Mooney descision. was created by Jeffery Francom
Hello all!

I am new to the group and really, new to the Ercoupe world.

Back in the mid 1980s, I was that kid that hung around the airport, talking with the GA pilots, watching the planes come and go!  Dreaming. I had a major "crush" on the older Aeroncas, Luscombes, Cubs...  In 1984 my high school offered an aviation course that provided ground school and 10 hours of flight / instruction for something like $350. I loved that, but when the hours ran out, so did my money and the dream was put into the "Someday" category. 

Recently I realized that I am, in fact, mortal.  If I don't get moving, I may miss the chance. If not now, when?  So in the process of getting started I started really noticing the Ercoupe... and really liking it a lot.  I love the classic feel, but with tricycle gear, a little better cruise speed (compared with the Cub-style planes), a great look.  There is a flight school FBO about an hour from me that actually has an Ercoupe they use for training int he LSA category, so I went down and spent an hour or so getting to know N99200. That kinda sealed the deal for me; I need one of these little planes!

So at this point I am considering either getting a 415 C that may be for sale not far from me, OR possibly a Mooney M-10 that is also not too far.  I know the basic differences: Rudder controls (Seems to be pros and cons to either way), the canopy (I really like the slide down on the earlier models) , LSA qualification on the Ercoupe but not the Mooney.  The Ercoupe may have an edge as far as that classic cool that is so hard to describe but the Mooney is newer, and would have newer...well, everything.

If I get the Ercoupe I may start with my LSA Certificate and of course, if I get the Mooney I'll need my Private Pilot right away.

So with that lengthy introduction (sorry 8-) I was hoping to ask:  Are there any critical Pros or Cons to either the Ercoupe or the Mooney M-10 Cadet that I am missing??? Any special model-specific problems I should consider or look out for?   I saw the article on what to look for, and will read that several times to try to my brain wrapped around those issues. I am hoping to get an A&P to look at either option before I buy. But barring any real issues there, I still keep going back and forth.

Any thoughts? Oh, and any Ercoupes in the Southern Idaho, Northern Utah area???

All the Best
Jeffery in south-east Idaho.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds