Breadcrumbs

Fuel pump

More
12 Aug 2022 19:15 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel pump
My experience has been pretty good with my mechanical pump. I put in a new one in 2005 or so and it has been fine for 1500 hours of flying. I rarely let my wing tanks go dry, I’m kind of psychotic about fuel. But these pumps don’t fail that often. I think there is a NAPA rebuild kit that works for our pumps, but I don’t know the part number. It might be somewhere on ercoupe.info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2022 19:02 #2 by Paul Gilman
Replied by Paul Gilman on topic Fuel pump
Larry..how typical are fuel pump failures. I am thinking about reinstalling my existing fuel pump on my rebuilt C-85 at least until I decide to buy a new one or go with the electric pump STC option.
Fuel flow from my pump was good until the engine was putted for the rebuild process. The pump has little resistance as there is only the in-line reducer and little or no resistance at the header tank

More
09 Aug 2022 17:45 #3 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic Fuel pump
Thanks, I just could not understand a diaphragm moving so fast without generating lots of heat because of a lack of lubrication.

More
09 Aug 2022 16:30 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel pump
The fuel pump is open to the crankcase, since it it activated by a lobe on the camshaft. Obviously lubrication isn't a problem. And the pump is just a diaphragm moved up and down by the cam, so there's nothing there to cause friction.

More
09 Aug 2022 15:50 #5 by Ron Holmes
Fuel pump was created by Ron Holmes
I have a question about fuel pumps, it's one I have wondered about and don't really have an answer.  When the wing tanks run out of fuel and the pump is still working, what keeps the pump from burning up since it has no liquid going through it.
I believe you could run for an hour on the cowl tank while the wing tanks are empty, an hour running a fuel pump 'dry' seems like it would burn up the pump.

That's my curiosity  question.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds