Breadcrumbs

Crab and yaw

More
06 Apr 2023 11:58 #1 by Ian Azeredo
Replied by Ian Azeredo on topic Crab and yaw
Just a note on this: per the books the shim is on one side - the side which is loaded when there is weight on wheels. The opposite side of the collar doesn't have protection, but during flight the weight of the NLG pulls down on the other end. Since the wheels turn in flight, eventually the surfaces rub against each other on the top end.

i split the shims (i used 2x) in half so there was protection on both ends of the collar. Mentioning this here in case anyone looks for tips on the rebuild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2022 12:30 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Crab and yaw
You need to check the rigging on the plane, or re rig it completely, for the nose wheel, something that is over looked is the steering collar there is a peel ply shim between the halves and if it is worn, the collar turns too easy.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
04 Dec 2022 17:18 #3 by James Sandler
Crab and yaw was created by James Sandler
Hi all,

I’ve noticed for some time that my 415 Yaws to the right and it is very apparent on landing. It lands in a crab in zero wind conditions. Is it possible the ailerons are out of sync with the rudders?

There is also a NG shimmy that resolves when I turn slightly to the right. I’ve gone through all of the memos, rebalanced the wheel etc.  I’m not sure if these issues could have anything to do with each other. 

thanks for your thoughts. 

Jim Sandler
N93949

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds